Im Sorry But the LAST Thing the Black Community Needs Is Yet Another Slave Movie

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
I randomly had this thought out the blue last week about the psychological affects of constantly seeing ourselves as subservient, docile, and conquered. I was wondering if seeing ourselves in this position REPEATEDLY is healthy for our overall self-esteem and how we feel about ourselves.

Then I heard earlier today that a ROOTS remake is about to air. I looked it up and also came across a slave tv show called Underground. I don't watch much tv so I had no idea about these shows.

Anyways back to the subject. I am in no way saying that we should forget our history, matter fact the key to "change" IS becoming knowledgeable about our past history and learning about the tactics used to intentionally keep the black race as 2nd class citizens. Knowledge is the key.

But with that said, I'm starting to feel that constantly seeing ourselves in an INFERIOR position such as slavery is helping to keep our own self-esteem at a certain level subconsciously.

Many black people think that slavery was our beginning. They have zero knowledge of anything beforehand. We're only seeing ourselves as either being conquered/enslaved or begging for equal/fair treatment. Anyone else getn tired of that shyt??:why:

What this also does is reinforce the whole "white man is superior" concept. Along with those types of movies, the white man also portrays himself as the "ideal" man. Think about it. All the superhero characters are white. Most "successful" characters like doctors, lawyers, ect are white also. All of this combined keeps the white man as the superior race image-wise. Of course they own and dictate the media which means that they control not only their own image but ours also, which led me to thinking WHY does it seem like every year there's yet another movie about black people in chains in an inferior position under the white mans rule. :patrice:

Anybody else feel the same or similar?

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
This is why black people need to start producing their own films, but it takes historical research to do a film set in Africa before slavery.

Everyone would love to see a Taharqa, Queen Nzinga, or Mansa Musa film but who in hollywood or what literature can do them justice based on what we have already seen??

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
That Nat Turner film is the only exception imo. But a lot of Black film makers/cac film makers are obsessed with making Slavery movies, it's another way to instill an inferior image on Black people.
Black film makers are using cac money to make these products highlighting our inferiority.

They will never make a black empowerment movie, why do you think Danny Glover has trouble financing his Toussaint Movie? Or why Will Smith was going to make a Taharqa movie but it never greenlit?

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Don't like it don't watch it. You got little kids and adults who barely know shyt about black history, don't wanna know shyt about black history, could give a shyt about black history. If a roots remake puts a bug in their head to look deeper into our history I'm all for it. Truth is it's more likely whites will watch that shyt than black people.

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Black film makers are using cac money to make these products highlighting our inferiority.

They will never make a black empowerment movie, why do you think Danny Glover has trouble financing his Toussiant Movie? Or why Will Smith was going to make a Taharqa movie but it never greenlit?
They can take cac money or sand money, that still doesn't dissolve their responsibility for promoting Slave films.

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Don't like it don't watch it. You got little kids and adults who barely know shyt about black history, don't wanna know shyt about black history, could give a shyt about black history. If a roots remake puts a bug in their head to look deeper into our history I'm all for it. Truth is it's more likely whites will watch that shyt than black people.
Slavery is not the only thing in Black history that can be discussed. There's enough Slave films out already, no need to make more of it.

Michael9100

The Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
houston
i want to see a movie on Clarence Thomas..... stories on real black conservatives are almost entirely ignored in the black film world...

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Slavery is not the only thing in Black history that can be discussed. There's enough Slave films out already, no need to make more of it.

There have been hundreds of world war 2 films and hundreds of Vietnam films as well. How many slavery films are their really, it's not any more than any other historical genre of film. Hell at the very least most of the survivors of the Vietnam war are still alive. Slavery? not so much. I could see point of people saying enough slave films already, but it's so many black people walking around that don't know shyt about slavery, the emancipation or the civil rights movement. To be honest they should be dropping them shyts like mix-tapes.