I just realized what Pixar's secret is :leon:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
You know why Pixar wins over and over again while Disney struggles over and over again? Pixar doesn't repackage adult love stories (Hamlet, Macbeth, etc.) and dumb them down for children. Pixar understands that the way to win over a young audience is to make the cinematic world the muse of its characters, NOT the characters the muse of other characters. Expecting children to relate to films that place the romantic escapades/trysts/rivalries of adults at their center is retarded. Children enjoy seeing a world they've never seen before (Wall-E) and gradually making sense of it, a parallel world that explains something about their own world (Monster's Inc, Inside Out), a world they are innately familiar with (Toy Story) being given new depth, etc. Children already imagine the world around them to be bigger and more fantastic than it is in reality anyway: Pixar gives these kids a vehicle to explore the world around them in ways that they already entertain. On top of that there's enough intelligent writing under the hood for adults to stay for the ride.

Disney conversely takes adult stories and makes them unwatchable for adults. I just watched Frozen on TV with my sister :scusthov: I made an off-handed comment that Disney sells sex in every movie and only the attributes (race, gender, sexuality) of the lovers change for the agenda du jour... literally two minutes later after they fall off the cliff and walk into the troll garden the trolls start sizing Anna up like some thirsty nikkas whistling at every piece of ass on the block :dead:

Disney's only animated HIT from the last 5 years (not counting Pixar) is Zootopia. Once again, the focus of the movie was the world, not Nick and Judy's sexual tension. I'll bet my left nut that this is literally the winning formula for every single animated hit from the last 3 decades from The Nightmare Before Christmas to The Incredibles. Obviously writing is a huge factor but it really does come down to what you're writing about to begin with... Trying to dumb down 16th century adult plays for children is doing a disservice to BOTH of the intended demographics (children and adults). Adults will cringe at the oversimplifications of the source material/shytty writing and young children will cringe at the relationship drama that they don't understand nor give a flying fukk about.

:salute: to Pixar for captivating the imaginations of children and adults alike for 3 decades.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I mean, I guess....
But Beauty and the Beast is classic, Lion King is literally Hamlet with animals, and Cinderella/Snow White are about as "classic" storytelling as possible.

...and did you just try to tell us Frozen wasn't a hit? Moana? Big Hero 6?

I like you're premise, buuuuuuut....

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
You know why Pixar wins over and over again while Disney struggles over and over again? Pixar doesn't repackage adult love stories (Hamlet, Macbeth, etc.) and dumb them down for children. Pixar understands that the way to win over a young audience is to make the cinematic world the muse of its characters, NOT the characters the muse of other characters. Expecting children to relate to films that place the romantic escapades/trysts/rivalries of adults at their center is retarded. Children enjoy seeing a world they've never seen before (Wall-E) and gradually making sense of it, a parallel world that explains something about their own world (Monster's Inc, Inside Out), a world they are innately familiar with (Toy Story) being given new depth, etc. Children already imagine the world around them to be bigger and more fantastic than it is in reality anyway: Pixar gives these kids a vehicle to explore the world around them in ways that they already entertain. On top of that there's enough intelligent writing under the hood for adults to stay for the ride.

Disney conversely takes adult stories and makes them unwatchable for adults. I just watched Frozen on TV with my sister :scusthov: I made an off-handed comment that Disney sells sex in every movie and only the attributes (race, gender, sexuality) of the lovers change for the agenda du jour... literally two minutes later after they fall off the cliff and walk into the troll garden the trolls start sizing Anna up like some thirsty nikkas whistling at every piece of ass on the block :dead:

Disney's only animated HIT from the last 5 years (not counting Pixar) is Zootopia. Once again, the focus of the movie was the world, not Nick and Judy's sexual tension. I'll bet my left nut that this is literally the winning formula for every single animated hit from the last 3 decades from The Nightmare Before Christmas to The Incredibles. Obviously writing is a huge factor but it really does come down to what you're writing about to begin with... Trying to dumb down 16th century adult plays for children is doing a disservice to BOTH of the intended demographics (children and adults). Adults will cringe at the oversimplifications of the source material/shytty writing and young children will cringe at the relationship drama that they don't understand nor give a flying fukk about.

:salute: to Pixar for captivating the imaginations of children and adults alike for 3 decades.

pixar is a subsidiary of disney

Daps
I feel like Pixar and most CGIs always have to have a gimmick like in Wreck it Ralph(Gaming), A bugs life(insects), Cars, Monsters Inc(monsters under the bed), Monsters University(college life), ratatouille(catering), Finding Nemo(the ocean), The incredibles(Super heroes) I suppose because they are animated they can achieve that. But even though the gimmick concept is original the underlying stories are pretty cliched.Some of the gimmicks are getting recycled now because they are getting pumped out like water.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I feel like Pixar and most CGIs always have to have a gimmick like in Wreck it Ralph(Gaming), A bugs life(insects), Cars, Monsters Inc(monsters under the bed), Monsters University(college life), ratatouille(catering), Finding Nemo(the ocean), The incredibles(Super heroes) I suppose because they are animated they can achieve that. But even though the gimmick concept is original the underlying stories are pretty cliched.Some of the gimmicks are getting recycled now because they are getting pumped out like water.

No idea's original, as they say. I've read essays about the theory that there are only 7 stories, period.

It's about finding interesting ways to tell similar stories. I mean, as truly great as Pixar's run has been, they really do go back to the "mismatched duo" and quest/rescue tropes quite often.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Wow zootpopia is their only hit? So you're ignoring frozen which was huge and still continues to be huge? Big hero 6? Moana? Jungle book?

I mean I hear you but you're logic has some gaps in it homie to truly be sound

also I don't remember being bored by the relationship stuff in Aladdin or Hercules or the little mermaid or any of the stuff from the 90s

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

Zootopia Just Broke One Of Disney's Records, Get The Details - CINEMABLEND

Zootopia Just Broke One Of Disney's Records
BY CONNER SCHWERDTFEGER
9 MONTHS AGO

Seriously you guys, we thought 2015 was a great year at the box office, but 2016 hit the ground running. Disney’s Zootopia premiered in theaters last week to nearly universal critical acclaim, and audiences seem to have listened. The animated feature easily and definitively won the box office during its opening weekend. However, beyond merely garnering the number one spot, the tale of Nick Wilde and Judy Hopp also set an all-time box office record for Disney animation.

A new report from ComicBook.com indicates that Zootopia’s $73.7 million opening weekend box office debut makes it the best ever opening for Disney animation. Prior to the release of Zootopia, Disney's animated superhero feature Big Hero 6 held the three-day record with $56 million. Behind that, Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled both came in with roughly $50 million during their respective opening weekends.

In case you’re wondering where Frozen is on that list, it actually didn’t premiere to very much money at all back in 2013. The now legendary tale of Elsa and Anna premiered to a paltry $250,000 in a single theater, but then went on to garner close to $67 million the following week when it experienced a wide release.

Outside the realm of Disney movies, Zootopia managed to break yet another record as well. Over the course of its three-day premiere it managed to dethrone the previous record holder for highest grossing animated March premiere, The Lorax, which hit theaters in 2012. Eat your heart out, Dr. Seuss.

What makes this accomplishment even more impressive is the fact that Zootopiamanaged to do something no other movie has been able to accomplish in the last three weeks. Disney’s Zootopia actually took down Deadpool, which had recently gone on to become not only the highest grossing R-rated comic book movie of all time, but managed to garner numerous other records during its short run.

One of the major reasons for Zootopia’s success is the way in which it tells a story that both adults and kids can emotionally invest in. It doesn’t pander to the lowest common denominator – looking at you, Norm of the North – and it still tells a mature story through the eyes of the film’s most optimistic character, Judy Hopps.

We will keep you posted on Zootopia’s success as it continues to rake in the millions. The latest animated Disney features is currently in theaters, but based on the movie’s financial performance in such a short amount of time you probably have already seen it. If you haven’t, then be sure to grab the kids and head to your local theater right now, it’s worth it.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I mean, I guess....
But Beauty and the Beast is classic, Lion King is literally Hamlet with animals, and Cinderella/Snow White are about as "classic" storytelling as possible.

...and did you just try to tell us Frozen wasn't a hit? Moana? Big Hero 6?

I like you're premise, buuuuuuut....

The difference between 80s/90s Disney and now is that musical numbers are no longer carrying their films. Disney made HUGE profits off of the soundtracks of those films... Lion King is literally one of the most popular musicals ever even in 2016. Their last round of films (Zootopia, Big Hero Six, etc.) has moved away from that and into cinema without the musicals. Frozen tries to hark back to the 90s but the music is not up to par at all.

Lion King greatly benefits from the characters being anthropomorphic... It forced Disney to create a world that was more imaginative and fully realized. Disney (unlike Pixar) typically takes existing worlds (Aladdin's middle east, Mulan's China, etc.) and forces a love story into the middle of it to create "narrative depth".