I don't think a company(nintendo) can thrive trying to be a consumer's 2nd or 3rd console

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
This theory is always paraded around but I think its coming from a largely hardcore gamer perspective.

There are not enough consumers out that see the value in having multiple consoles like we do.

That's why I think statements like " If you are trying to play Battlefield" on a Nintendo console is faulty logic from the standpoint that most gamers are looking to play those games on the console they purchase.

This is why Nintendo is showcased motion controls cause they are trying to get new consumers and not be a complimentary console to PS4 and X1

loki this is also why PSVR will fail too:manny::patrice:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I disagree. I think a company can succeed being a 2nd or 3rd item. I mean, how many of us have desktops and laptops?

You buy Nintendo for the first party games, just like you buy a laptop for portability.

The Switch shouda been $250, but I'm fine with $300.

Once a price drop comes, and Mario comes out, I think the Switch will be okay.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I disagree. I think a company can succeed being a 2nd or 3rd item. I mean, how many of us have desktops and laptops?

You buy Nintendo for the first party games, just like you buy a laptop for portability.

The Switch shouda been $250, but I'm fine with $300.

Once a price drop comes, and Mario comes out, I think the Switch will be okay.
The WIIU showed that 1st party titles aren't enough of a reason to buy a 2nd console. I bet a large majority of WIIU owners have multiple consoles. I bet a most PS4 or X1 owners don't have multiple consoles

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The WIIU showed that 1st party titles aren't enough of a reason to buy a 2nd console. I bet a large majority of WIIU owners have multiple consoles. I bet a most PS4 or X1 owners don't have multiple consoles
You're probably right, but the switch could get the casuals with the motion controls and shyt, just like the Wii. They just need a family-friendly game, like Wii Sports to sell the shyt.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I think there is a market for it. What I think you are saying is that there isn't a market for NINTENDO products as a 3rd choice. Well, it depends on a lot of factors. I think the switch will do the same numbers as the Wii U over the lifespan, but I think the initial numbers will be bigger just because of Zelda and the other 1st year games that are basically ports of successful games from Wii U. Overall, though, I don't think it will be a successful console. I think we are stuck with Nintendo's bullshyt as a 3rd choice UNTIL another company comes into the fray and replaces them.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

What I mean is that most gamers that have a WIIU are hardcore gamers that aren't satisfied with having 1 consoles

Most PS4 and X1 gamers are casuals gamers that see no value in having 2 gaming systems.

For the op to be correct you would have to ignore decades of marketing concepts and consumer habits. You might be correct to an extent if you narrow your focus to the big 3 console manufacturers but in general there is always a market for secondary and tertiary products

No you don't because the Console market is shrinking every year and the gaming itch is being scratched by tablets and phones for a lot of people

And yes this convo is focused on the 3 console makers.

And your last sentence is the point of this thread. That market is in gaming is reserved for the hardcore enthusiasts

Closed thread

Last Gen all 3 consoles were successful

And thats not the case this gen.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This theory is always paraded around but I think its coming from a largely hardcore gamer perspective.

There are not enough consumers out that see the value in having multiple consoles like we do.

That's why I think statements like " If you are trying to play Battlefield" on a Nintendo console is faulty logic from the standpoint that most gamers are looking to play those games on the console they purchase.

This is why Nintendo is showcased motion controls cause they are trying to get new consumers and not be a complimentary console to PS4 and X1

loki this is also why PSVR will fail too:manny::patrice:
It's doable it's just that Nintendo does a crap job at it. They are just too far out of touch with what mainstream gamers want and too insistent on chasing after the sort of customer that will likely never be loyal to them. That being said it's been over 20 years of second or worse finishes and they're still around.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Nintendo is like a movie with a small indy budget that recoups everytime. It's actually genius business model to have everything in house and flip for billions everytime.

666 ReVeNGe 666

TROLL IS LIFE
Daps
Nintendo is like a movie with a small indy budget that recoups everytime. It's actually genius business model to have everything in house and flip for billions everytime.
, did the Wii U really flop?
How to say don't even remember what mean launch date because I probably wasn't playing video games as much back then but I'm confused was it really a failure like they say it was

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
, did the Wii U really flop?
How to say don't even remember what mean launch date because I probably wasn't playing video games as much back then but I'm confused was it really a failure like they say it was

By Wii standards it did. Wii had all time great numbers and the highest selling games of all time dropped on Wii. Wii U didn't really bring anything to the table. Sales wise it did ok though.