How To Stream/Record Games

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Most popular site for streaming games:
http://www.twitch.tv (owned by Justin.TV)

edit:
added a 2nd up and coming streaming site:
http://www.hitbox.tv

How to stream:

Programs/Hardware you'll need:
OBS (Open Broadcast Software) - Free
http://obsproject.com/

or

xsplit
https://www.xsplit.com/ - $40 for 1 year

if you get OBS, you'll need DXTORY for video capturing.

I have both. I use OBS mostly. I prefer OBS because it uses less of your CPU, which is very important for streaming as streaming can be very CPU and internet intensive. Most computers can stream with OBS, while with xSplit you might notice a slow down (resource hog). xSplit is good because you dont need another program like DXTORY to make it work and also has more options (not as user friendly in my opinion though).

If you want to stream console games you'll need a capture card. AverMedia is by far the most popular brand for capture cards. This is how people get those crystal quality PS4 streams (and stream Xbox 1 currently). Capture cards will work on older systems like SNES and N64.

nVidia just came out with a streaming feature but I have yet to use it so I cant comment on it.

Heres a youtube video that goes over how to set up both xsplit and OBS

Internet:
You'll want a decently fast internet speed to stream in the first place. But also just because you have fast internet doesnt mean you should just boost your settings all the way to the max. While you might be able to stream 1080p/60 fps (you'd need a real fast upload speed for this and a beast computer anyway), your crowd/audience might not have internet fast enough to watch your stream (itll be choppy on their end as they cant download as fast as you are playing..)

The sweet spot for gaming is currently 720p/60 fps if your internet can handle those speeds (you'll want at least 5 mb/upload speed for this even though you'll see a lot of different numbers out there, this is from personal experience). 60 FPS makes it a lot smoother for everyone to watch instead of 30 FPS. But if your internet sucks like mine does, I stream at 480/60. I almost should be streaming at 480/30 but I have to some kind of quality. Just for reference, 720p and 30 FPS will look better than 480p and 60fps. If you become a popular streamer on twitch.tv you can get partnered. When you are partnered you can have multiple streaming options for your viewers. (480, 720, 1080 and Source[which is what you are streaming at] or whatever you choose). This is one way popular streamers stay popular is because anyone with any internet speed can watch their stream.

You will want to set your bitrate/buffer accordingly. Obviously if your internet speed is around 1.5mb/s upload you cant/wont be able to use a higher bitrate/buffer speed in the settings. You'll want to be around 1000 kbs bitrate/buffer speeds in the settings (just for comparison) otherwise you might start to drop frames(which is what makes streams stutter on your viewer side or your internet lag out on your side).

Recording:
Recording is way more CPU/GPU intensive than streaming. Id recommend a dedicated hard drive for your recording as recording games can take up a lot of space real quick. On the best program to record, in my opinion (nVidia shadow play) 20 minutes will take 7.25 GB on high settings.

The most common programs today for recording are nVidia shadow play and Fraps. In my opinion, Shadow Play kills Fraps on every level. The recording is smoother and easier, has more options, takes up less space (when recording with fraps 20 minutes would be more around 15+ GB instead of 7.25GB with shadow play) and the most important thing is Fraps is based more off CPU than GPU so it WILL lower your frames per second and effect your game play unless you have a monster computer. Where shadow play with nVidia is more based off of your GPU and nVidia has found a way that it doesnt effect your game play/lower your frames per second much or if at all (playing a game like BF4 and it taking up all your VRAM might effect performance a little compared to a game not so VRAM intense.)

Currently you can upload your streams from Twitch to Youtube directly now and with Youtube its easy to chop high lights (incredibly easy actually) but the quality suffers a little bit which is why top youtube gamers still record using fraps/shadowplay and then edit later on.

Why do any of this at all?
Between how popular eSports have become and how popular gaming is and will continue to be, this is the future already here. Theirs countless streamers/youtubers making legit money ($100,000+ a year easily) just from playing games as their job. Even moderately popular streamers make $3,000 a month from donations/ad revenue. Breaking into that moderately popularity though is no easy task. Look at like radio DJs.. Everyone has a voice, but only a few can be radio DJs/personalities. But the few that make it on the radio, get paid very well. Video gaming is just a different form of entertainment. People watch top players play to learn new ways to better themselves at the game they are currently playing. Some people watch other popular streamers because the community they bring to the table.

YouTube has recently adopted the subscriber model like twitch and people were already making bank on youtube before then.

To put things in perspective the top call of duty streamer/youtube player (OpTiC Nadeshot) was making $17,000 a month between just his youtube and twitch.tv channel ad revenue/subscriptions. That is not counting what he was making from donations which wouldn't be too far off from matching that or exceeding that every month as well (he makes a couple hundred+ in donations every time he streams, he easily clears $25,000 a month just from playing Call of Duty a few hours a day).

to put THAT into perspective, while he is the most popular call of duty streamer, he is not even top 50 most popular streamer on twitch by a long shot. The people who play PC games (:youngsabo:) stream longer, more often, have more viewers and more often and bigger donations. They also sell merchandise on the side.

Basically the point is, you dont need to be top streamer to make a livable income off of gaming. On the flip side 9 out of 10 people who stream more than likely will never break enough viewers to ever get partnered let alone get ad revenue to make noticeable money. So dont quit your day job just yet. But it is not also impossible and if you stick with it and advertise correctly or have the right personality or bring something new to the table, you can spike up in viewers almost instantly and once you are there, its almost impossible to fall off.

Streaming will only continue to get more popular. Theirs already been million dollar tournaments and sponsors are throwing serious money at these events. 2014 will be a great year for gaming.

OBS Settings:
SplaiLg.png

fCC0fz7.png

Sxx76EG.png

BJkpUPo.png

5pYq1Dj.png

edit: 2/9/2015 no longer need DXTORY to stream through OBS.

Last edited:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Thought I was the only one who streamed :dwillhuh:

I streamed Diablo 3 for like 2 weeks, uploaded some videos to youtube (wernt even that great of quality :merchant: ) and had 160,000 views almost over night :dwillhuh: but I never took it serious.. always makes me wonder where I would be if I kept streaming.. Since I got so many views in a short period of time :merchant:

I stopped streaming this year because my internet speed sucks (12 down 1.5 up......:sadcam:) but I messed with OBS enough that I can make 480p/60fps look decent on Rust. Im upgrading my internet to 45 down / 6 up on Tuesday which will make 720p/60fps possible and look great. Still not the best upload speeds but night and day better than 1.5 :sadcam:

I stream Rust to help make the server more popular (even if 1-2 new players a day thats better than nothing) but I will be streaming Elder Scrolls Online a lot and give it another attempt of becoming a staple streamer (im a club host and make good income but I also have a lot of free time during the day since almost all my business is from texting/facebooking/instagramming peopel to have their birthday at my parties) so I figure why not :yeshrug: who knows :yeshrug: maybe ill become popular enough eventually I wont need to host events. Only time will tell. Being popular or not, I find it fun to stream and interact with people in the channel as they watch me play regardless if its 10 people or 100 people watching

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This is what I'm working with...

CPU = i5-3570k
GPU = 7850 2GB

Origin has built in streaming now, so I tried using that during TitanFall's beta but the quality wasn't all that. When I started messing with the settings my game got choppy.

What should I be able to stream resolution with with what I got?

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
streamed some planetside 2 when it dropped (well before the optimization patch)

quit when i topped out at 12 viewers on my :flabbynsick: status twitch channel

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
streamed some planetside 2 when it dropped (well before the optimization patch)

quit when i topped out at 12 viewers on my :flabbynsick: status twitch channel

12 viewers is actually a very good start.. im at 8,500 total views but if I get over 10 viewers at a time im :blessed:

I even get some donations already :blessed:

This is what I'm working with...

CPU = i5-3570k
GPU = 7850 2GB

Origin has built in streaming now, so I tried using that during TitanFall's beta but the quality wasn't all that. When I started messing with the settings my game got choppy.

What should I be able to stream resolution with with what I got?

:lupe: :wow:

dont use Origin streaming man ill set you up with OBS with those settings your stream gonna be looking crystal clear :ahh:

most people even more known streamers dont know how to properly set their bitrates. I got one of the better looking 720/60fps streams out there and my internet is 45 down :ehh: but only 6 up :scusthov:

and upload speed is where it counts for streaming and with 12 mb up your stream gonna be :ahh:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Just added a new streaming site that is 2nd most popular to twitch right now;
called hitbox.tv

its actually really good quality

cons:
one of the owners used to own http://www.own3d.com which was 2nd most popular (and when twitch first started up, more popular at the time) gaming streaming site
towards the end, they didnt pay out streamers on advertisements/subscriptions :scusthov:

pros:
it looks like they got some decent money behind them this time, and some people are willing to give them a 2nd chance. The site in comparison to twitch is fairly dead, but compared to other streaming sites, is pretty active (if that makes sense).

getting "partnered" with them is WAY easier than Twitch, even though twitch has recently made it easier them selves. "partnered" is when you start making good money in streaming cause you get paid off subscriptions and advertisements.

if you are just starting out.. I mean I can see going with twitch or hitbox.. Getting popular on twitch right now is almost next to impossible(this is partly twitches fault by only advertising popular streamers..kind of a "rich get richer" thing they got going right now, back in the day, they used to advertise random streams on the front page and it helped people get noticed easier) , but when it happens, you pretty much hit the lotto. Keep in mind, I said popular. Theres plenty of people who are in the 200-400 viewers every time they stream (and this is definitely possible for anyone dedicated enough and has personality enough) making more money than people with 1000+ people watching them everytime they stream. Its all about donations.. if people are dedicated to you, they'll donate more, as a thank you for entertaining them for 6-8 hours a day

If you go with hitbox, you'll have more viewers almost instantly (but like @Detroit Wave example, he had 12 viewers, maybe he has 20 on hitbox) because anyone with 5+ viewers on hitbox is already considered popular at night time and having 20+ viewers at this moment im typing this out would get oyu into the top 10 most popular streams on hitbox. The most popular having 1500 viewers, the 10th most popular having 19 views.

The thing is, with hitbox, if the site does become popular and you already semi popular on there, you will get just as big just as quick and easy as the people who were semi popular when twitch started out and now reaping the benefits.

but if hitbox flops, you just lost out on a lot of time you could of been building your stream up on twitch :sadcam:

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Actually been fukking with some stream settings a bit, getting my brother and homies to check out the stream, seeing if they get any lag at all.

Been rocking with 1080p/30fps Battlefield 4, since 1080p/60fps nearly gave my shyt a heart attack on all fronts. I usually do pretty well in games, although I think my in-game FPS suffers a slight bit and my ping tends to hit up into the 80-150 range every once in a while.

Was thinking of lowering to 720p/60fps but I'm not sure if I even wanna get into streaming or not really. Or atleast dedicate my time right now to it.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Actually been fukking with some stream settings a bit, getting my brother and homies to check out the stream, seeing if they get any lag at all.

Been rocking with 1080p/30fps Battlefield 4, since 1080p/60fps nearly gave my shyt a heart attack on all fronts. I usually do pretty well in games, although I think my in-game FPS suffers a slight bit and my ping tends to hit up into the 80-150 range every once in a while.

Was thinking of lowering to 720p/60fps but I'm not sure if I even wanna get into streaming or not really. Or atleast dedicate my time right now to it.
for streaming, 720p 60 fps will look better to viewers than 1080p 30 fps and wont take as much bandwidth/cpu power either.

just start a stream everytime you play :yeshrug: no dedication to it at all :yeshrug:

I found out today you can stream at 1080p and 60 fps SMOOTHLY (if your computer can handle it) at 3500 bitrate :obama:

I been doing 720/60fps at 5000 bitrate, and my stream looked great, but now its A1

the down fall to streaming at 1080/60fps is that not everyones internet can handle that speed and until you get partnered (another dumb perk twitch added to being partnered :comeon: ) your viewers cant change the video settings (low, medium, high and source)

so streaming at 1080p/60 fps might look nicer on the eyes but might not also be viewable to some people due to slower internet speeds (itll seem choppy or always be buffering)

so dunno.. I think ima stream elder scrolls online this weekend at 1080/60 fps and see if anyone complains

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
for streaming, 720p 60 fps will look better to viewers than 1080p 30 fps and wont take as much bandwidth/cpu power either.

just start a stream everytime you play :yeshrug: no dedication to it at all :yeshrug:

I found out today you can stream at 1080p and 60 fps SMOOTHLY (if your computer can handle it) at 3500 bitrate :obama:

I been doing 720/60fps at 5000 bitrate, and my stream looked great, but now its A1

the down fall to streaming at 1080/60fps is that not everyones internet can handle that speed and until you get partnered (another dumb perk twitch added to being partnered :comeon: ) your viewers cant change the video settings (low, medium, high and source)

so streaming at 1080p/60 fps might look nicer on the eyes but might not also be viewable to some people due to slower internet speeds (itll seem choppy or always be buffering)

so dunno.. I think ima stream elder scrolls online this weekend at 1080/60 fps and see if anyone complains

Bu...but....what if they don't like me? :lupe: :lupe: :lupe:

I only tried streaming a couple times, but both times seemed good, and the people I was showing the stream to had told me they experienced no major lag or other issues. Might test 720p/60fps in the AM cause I'm all Titanfall/Left 4 Dead 2'd out right now. Plus Twitch tried to hit me with that :ufdup: for streaming Titanfall like 25 minutes before they said it was aight.

And I was streaming 1080p/30fps at like 3000 bitrate without problem, wtf @ 5000 dog.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Bu...but....what if they don't like me? :lupe: :lupe: :lupe:

I only tried streaming a couple times, but both times seemed good, and the people I was showing the stream to had told me they experienced no major lag or other issues. Might test 720p/60fps in the AM cause I'm all Titanfall/Left 4 Dead 2'd out right now. Plus Twitch tried to hit me with that :ufdup: for streaming Titanfall like 25 minutes before they said it was aight.

And I was streaming 1080p/30fps at like 3000 bitrate without problem, wtf @ 5000 dog.

I got 26 people in my stream right now :noah:

dont let me make it as a streamer :noah: ima feel too :blessed:

yeah twitch been going in with the early streams lately