How to catch a mouse 101

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Greetings all,

Something I can share with you all is that deep down Ive always wanted to be an exterminator. I dont mean the guy that just comes in and sprays or even sets traps, but the guy who investigates, crawls into attics and crawl spaces peeks between walls and shyt finding out where and how bugs and rodents get in. I have a little amateur experience catching rodents such as mice, rats, squirrels, bats. Bugs are easy, especially once you find the point of access. Honestly Ive never witnessed anything that needs more than one of those foggers in a can from walmart or your local grocery, but then again I'm not seasoned. The worst ive ever seen was a damp soft spot that was behind a fridge that caved in when it was touched and fukk that looked like something out of a movie. I had to go in with like a plastic grocery bag (this bag was more thick) and scoop out everything I could, it was a nest with queen, soldiers and alladat. then we fogged the hell out of it, and when we checked everything was crispy.

You want to yell (or scream like a bytch) and you feel like your going to throw up but when you realize you stumbled upon them before they stumbled upon you and you have super thick gloves and waders on..they cant harm you if you laid down and let them crawl all over you (not that id ever recommend that).

Since its getting colder, mice are going to start to seek shelter, anyway or anywhere they can. even in the undercarriage of your car if they can get to it. If you suspect you have a mouse or know you do the best way to get them is to bait. Obviously if you know you have one you can resort to traps, but wait and read, theres more a little trick that a majority of the population doesnt know.

To properly bait, my favorite thing to use is cheerios. I usually grab 5 and I set them at various places in a residence depending on the severity. For instance in a pile in corners of the room and if you have a long baseboard a pile in the middle. I always use 5 because if you dump a handful or a few, chances are if a mouse eats one or two...your not going to ever know he came and went. 5 is an easy count in case they have one and get spooked or arent interested (which they usually are) you know something was there.

Try to put them in corners, definitely behind appliances like the stove or fridge, in the garage and by doorways, you would be surprised how many mice use the same doorway your or I use. put them on the same side as the knob, not the hinge, but an inch or 2 out of the way so they dont blow over or get stepped on. If you know you have an issue set up something super easy like, in front of the fridge, in front of the stove, by the trash can, in front of and beside the washing machine or dryer, in front of the bathroom sink. If you have animals that eat them you are out of luck--i dont know what to do in that situation.

Now say youve gone through your crib and set approximately 20-60 handfuls of 5 cheerios each in corners and the like...what you need to do as you set them down is take a picture with your camera phone. make sure you can identify each location as well as a general idea of the placement. 3 blind mice isnt just a story or nursery rhyme they can run right through the cheerios especially if they know your place and know where the good stuff usually is. Some ocd people put them in a little pattern, I just drop them and take a picture and obviously if they are not in a bunch but scattered, I know something was there (obviously a rodent, bugs cant move cheerios). If you set 20-60 baits, you will likely forget 1 or 2, especially if they are gone, there is usually one place you may think about putting a bait that you wont and without a picture you can assume you didnt or assume you have a mouse that ate it, whichever helps you sleep at night.

Baiting usually takes 24-48 hours, you can check baits during the day and see if any have been hit. If none have been hit after 5 days, it is safe to vacuum or pick up the baits and replace with new ones, mice use sense of smell to travel and I always use multigrain cheerios which are kind of sweet, if you use plain they cant smell them (remember 3 blind mice) and if they go stale which they will after being on the floor they will lose smell and also harden (mice arent typically choosers but they like to eat and run, ive never witnessed a case where they just avoid stale cheerios)

Depending on how many baits are eaten and the location you can typically guestimate how many mice may be in your crib, if its just one bait out of 10 and its in the kitchen or 2 out of 15 and they are both in the kitchen you probably have just one. If you have more than 3 or 4 and in different rooms you likely have more than 1.

Once you have guestimated how many you have, buy some traps. ONLY GET THE SPRING TRAPS WITH THE METAL SNAP BAR---NOT THE PLASTIC WITH THE TEETH!!!!!!! NO GLUE TRAPS, NO POISON POWDER OR PILLS OR CHEW!!!!!

fukk EVERY CARTOON YOU EVER SEEN WITH THE MOUSE SALIVATING AT THE SIGHT OR SMELL OF CHEESE, fukk ANYONE WHO EVER TOLD YOU "USE PEANUT BUTTER"

THE MOUSE SUPERFOOD IS.......
tootsie rolls- the chocolate kind

Thats right folks, they love that shyt. Seriously, you can catch 2 or even 3 in the same trap, dont believe me youtube that shyt. Chew all the way through it until its gooey and sticky and stick it on, its like shooting fish in a barrel. The only problem is temp changes...if it goes from hot to cold they harden, they usually last 7 days if chewed thoroughly.

You can do the fun stuff like set a bowl of vegetable oil out or cooking grease and let them climb into the bowl and be too slippery to get out, or set up a water bucket trap, but that is time consuming and often inefficient, having rodents isnt a game to some people.

My rule of thumb is once you set out some baits and dont get a bite for 2-3 weeks your good to go. As far as prevention, obviously make sure your points of access are closed, if you have hole from the outside that is tiny believe a mouse and squeeze through it, plug it up, steel wool or duct tape. Then if you'd like you can get
peppermint oil
mix it with water in a spray bottle and spray points of access and hidden crevices. One its all natural so you dont have to worry about allergies, it smells nice, and mice hate it.. if you put a mouse in a shoebox and spray the otherside across from where he is at he will not cross over it, its too overpowering and it obstructs their sense of smell (remember 3 blind mice.

If you absolutely want to you could spray it into crevices and access points and see if they come scurrying out in about 60 seconds to 2 minutes, if they dont run right to you or past you you will hear them squeaking and in panic mode guaranteed. You could use
bleach
or
ammonia
but allergies and then you smell it too, they hate it but it tends to fade quicker but is very strong on impact. you could just mop after you catch them for maintenance.

Roaches are too easy---just clean with a cleaner...when they walk across a surface they drag their bottom and leave a trail that they can see/smell (think of it like dragging a felt tip pen across paper) they will follow the same trail for a lifetime and follow others trails too. If you clean with a standard household cleaner it removes their trail then when they come out its like their first time ever being in your home. As far as ridding your house of them, I recommend finding the point of access and once again using an over the counter fogger. The problem most people have is they dont look for the poa and just fog or smash on sight.

Last edited:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I don't even worry about mice in my garage. it's not attached to the house, so trying to keep a mouse out of there is pointless. also, it's not heated, and there's no food in there for them. I have seen one in there once, but thats it.

had some mice last winter when it first turned cold. I was catching them myself with traps and peanut butter, but what really solved the problem was when we adopted a shelter cat and let him get loose. he caught a few mice and they were gone after that.

then this year when it first started to get cold, my cat caught 3 mice on the same night. it was silly. he had one in his mouth and was basically smacking it up and down the stairs and catching it over and over. I got a broom and kept swatting the mouse til it was dead. he caught one in my basement and was smacking that one around as well. I smashed it with a broom too.

after that day, no more mice. I guess the others found out that this ain't a rest haven for mice with my cat on the prowl.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just used a trap with some cheese on top and put it in the room they kept crawling out of.

It worked flawlessly and I caught 2 of them within 24 hours of putting the traps down. :obama:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:snoop: leave the garage door open brehs.

I left the garage open one time in late fall or winter I know it was cold enough for water to freeze. I left the garage open and I was in the garage tinkering. It sounded like someone was opening a bag of chips. :childplease: sure enough and knowing the complete inventory of my garage I look over to my bag of bird seed. A fukking mouse comes crawling out. :snoop: I caught him and drowned him in a bucket. The next day the water was frozen over that's how I remember how cold it was.

The other morning like 6am, I'm tuning up my bike in my garage and I hear some scratching. Then I hear faint movement, then squeaking. Sure enough, another mouse. And sure enough eating my God damn bird seed.

I swear the mice haven't eaten more than the birds.

This time my girl had left the garage door open overnight.

I really haven't done any spring cleaning of the garage. There just ain't a lot of shyt except my tools. Some plant pots my bikes, kids outdoor toys, basketball/football/soccer ball...there are some old boxes from amazon in there I need to breakdown and put in the recycling bin. You never know when you'll need a box.

Once I reorganize the garage won't be no place for a mouse to go or hide.

Never had one inside my new house.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ive had a couple of these fukkers in my apartment

got 2 sticky traps, and put one in a corner with some peanut butter between the two of them. woke up the next morning and there were 3 on the traps :dead:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I got this shyt at the crib
81tUDhpegcL._SX466_.jpg

It works but the problem is I have a bunch of mice cuz when i first used this shyt I must've caught several dozens over a span of weeks.

I need to patch/close up entry points but it'll be hard since it's the whole house. I've seen mice scurry across my damn kitchen table and stove :scust:

Last edited:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
ive had a couple of these fukkers in my apartment

got 2 sticky traps, and put one in a corner with some peanut butter between the two of them. woke up the next morning and there were 3 on the traps :dead:

I can't front if you have a few mice the glue traps do business.

My boys girls swore she heard some mice in the walls, squeaking and shyt. He's never heard it. So he was like :stopitslime:.

He was adamant about not listening to me about baiting, since he's never heard or seen one in his house since he moved in like 6-7 years ago. He has something called blink I guess it's a motion detector for a go pro. Long story short he set it up....there were like 4-5 mice scurrying around this little sunroom/mud room area.

He didn't show his lady or tell her about it but we copped some glue traps. A couple days later he had 2 on one and one on an additional 2 traps.

I helped set them up (just peel off the sticker), we set them up haphazardly and shyt...the mixes ran on to them and got stuck. There's really no other explanation. Hes been checking in with his girl (slowly convincing her she's crazy) she hasn't heard any squeaking or anything since, and he had some traps in that room, nobody really goes in there but in case his girl peeks her head in she ain't gonna see any traps. He's not gonna tell her and make her think shes crazy.

But the traps work.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
It's as simple as this shyt.

I remember after the Hurricanes when those of us that still had semblances of what you would call a roof were under attack by Mouse Plural (These nikkas we're too big to he called mice.:damn:)

All the stores were out of snap traps and glue. fukking Guyanese dude came through and was like "Breh all I need is a bucket and a stick" :troll:

I thought he was on some
f8hM8.jpg

Acme type shyt so I ain't never paid him no mind until I got fedup of hearing them nikkas Ninja Turtle through the goddamned house combat rolling and shyt off the cupboards and hit Breh up again.

He was like "Nah, you place a stick over the bucket, glue the meat to the bottomside of the stick and keep it in the middle. The rat is gonna walk on it, try and lean over to bite and fall right in."

He came over, set it up, went to bed, woke up to 5 fukking grown ass rats tumbling the fukk out of each other.