Hip-Hop Producer J-Dilla's Equipment Donated To The Smithsonian & Put on Display

Remy Danton

All Star
Daps
dilla.jpg

Last week, the Smithsonian announced two of J Dilla's production tools would be displayed at the upcoming National Museum of African American History and Culture. Thanks to a donation from his mother (pictured above), the influential artist/producer's custom Minimoog Voyager and Akai Music Production Center (MPC) 3000 Limited Edition will be part of a collection that aims "to explore how popular music helped shape the nation's history and culture politically and socially." Before passing away in 2006, J Dilla worked with A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Roots, The Pharcyde and many more, creating unique sounds for each in addition to his own solo work. "Everyone who pays attention to hip-hop has heard J Dilla's work whether they realize it or not," said Timothy Ann Burnside, the museum's popular music historian. "In the very demanding world of hip-hop producers, he was one of the busiest and most sought-after." When the museum opens in 2016, Dilla's instruments will be included in the "Musical Crossroads" exhibit -- one of the venue's 11 inaugural collections. If you're unfamiliar with his work, there's a brief introductory Spotify playlist from our Engadget channel just after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/21/...ed_RSS3&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Engadget

Truality

classic
Daps
What are his great tracks?

I cant think of any that i bump on the reg

maybe im just not a fan of the dudes he produced for

JohnB

Pro
Daps
He was a great producer but god he's overrated. It's kinda funny he has Moog and never released electronic music from what I know.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
why do they make this guy a god?

he was ok but not even top 10 imo i didn't like too many songs produced by him

no disrespect since he's dead tho i'm just sayin

I was JUST going to say this.. Qtip is the first person to hype him. Personally, I think Qtip runs circles around dude as a producer.. Not saying Dilla dont have some big records.. but eh