Hell Or High Water - Bridges, Pine & Foster from the director of Starred Up & the writer of Sicario

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
CDkR1Ba.jpg

A divorced dad and his ex-con brother resort to a desperate scheme in order to save their family's farm in West Texas.

shyt looks lit and it's been picking up great reviews all over the place.:whoo:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
The trailer doesn't do anything for me, it feels like a David Ayer/Denis Vileneuve films stripped of any excitement :yeshrug:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
The trailer doesn't do anything for me, it feels like a David Ayer/Denis Vileneuve films stripped of any excitement :yeshrug:

Reviews basically say that it's a cliché genre flick, but one executed exceptionally well, and sometimes that's more than enough.

StraxStrax

Daps
Reviews basically say that it's a cliché genre flick, but one executed exceptionally well, and sometimes that's more than enough.

Maybe, I just think I might be getting tired of the gritty small towns covered in dirt look

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Looking forward to seeing this in next few days.....Reminds me of that Casey Affleck one from 2012, 'All The Saints' or something like that, incredibly gorgeous direction, movie is just ok, Ben Foster was in that too.

StraxStrax

Daps
:Jimmy:

Writer of Sicario did the screenplay for this but this had way better dialogue.
Surprisingly funny too

I enjoyed it and I agree with you about it being suprisingly funny. I did not care for the end (last 10 mins) and the camera work was often times too predictable and safe.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This is very much in the same vein as 'Aint Them Bodies Saints', which was more romanticized, and closer to a Malik film in it's direction, this is a little bleaker, and washed out. The setting is the economically depressed, (to say the least) area of Texas Midlands, where predatory loan signs litter the highways, alongside shots of factories and chemical plants, making up the only employment in the area, two brothers on a gradually revealed spree of robberies to give one's children the future he never had, or has abandoned for the thrill of pistols, ski masks, and a shot at redemption.

Ben Foster has aged into an older, rougher version of himself, which is even more effective as he is every bit the volatile, relentlessly charming and violent psychopath he has played well over the years, alongside Chris Pine, who turns in a very strong, understated performance, at once channeling Colin Farrell, brooding, reflective stares and 'Miami Vice' hair, and something like 'Shane', a kind of fatalism and resignation, living or dying is past the point of his concerns.

Jeff Bridges, of course, is amazing, and his back and forth with his partner, the Comanche/Mexican Alberto are fun to watch, and the humanity personified in their performances and the people of the small, dying towns is the heart of the movie. The stretching fat on the waitresses arms, a women resigned to her destiny and fate, as much as any character in the movie, the old timers at the booth, the young waitress, with a mortgage, and a waitress job, taken briefly by the generous, soft spoken stranger....all personify a hopelessness and bleak look at the areas forgotten by our countries leaders and elites....

The music and direction during the long stretches of open road, dotted by long grass and low mountains are beautiful, and the tension in the last few minutes was masterful. It's a modern Western, in all their tragedy and death, weary gunslingers and criminals, the unforgiving nature of that life, and life in general, harshness under the gun of the oppressive Texan sky. The power of regret, honor, and the way fate and choices can tear into our lives and leave with almost everything. It's a movie about poverty, anger, desperation, family, gorgeously directed, well scripted, and it will stay with me for a while.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This opens near me this weekend and I am eagerly anticipating checking it out. There have been very few non-FX type movies to really grab me so far this year and I am hoping this will be one of the few that does.