Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
:francis:
I took Chad as wanting stability because he is engaged otherwise, he could just stay single and play the field. He has also been the most level headed and rational man on the show this season.

But Chad is engaged to a married woman & he is still cheating.

Chad is very rational...rational enough to let everyone know that he ain't shyt.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn

But Chad is engaged to a married woman & he is still cheating.

Chad is very rational...rational enough to let everyone know that he ain't shyt.
Wait what? I gotta go back and watch the show. Where did they show he is engaged to a married woman? How is that even possible? So Chad is a simp too? How the hell did I miss that?

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Chemistry is fleeting & it can be duplicated with many people. All chemistry means is that we have similar interest on the surface level stuff (i.e. music, art, we have fun together).

Compatibility is more of an exchange. For instance, a husband may be terrible at day-to-day finances but a rockstar when it comes to investing. And vice versa for the wife. So the wife handles the day to day & the husband handles big picture financial decisions. They help each other where they are lacking & it ends up being a better scenario with the efforts together, vs apart. The bolded leans toward compatibility to me.
I feel what you saying and it's just a difference in perspective. We both agree it should be a healthy mix of both. I just look at compatibility as being more of the on paper match, someone that we should be with while chemistry is the person we want to be with. I just think that chemistry is the more likely path to relationship happiness.

I look at chemistry as going beyond the surface level. To me chemistry can't be defined just certain people you meet you just perfectly click. People you meet where it feels you have known each other for years and can talk about anything with. Being compatible is surface level to me where you are missing that deeper connection.

young3000

Most wanted baby father
Daps
Reppin
where they cross-over and clap boards
I honestly don't even think he was paying 1/2. My theory is that Issa & Lawrence moved in together b/c he no longer could afford his own apartment after a layoff. Why else would they live in that apartment...especially when Lawrence was in a high paying field. They probably had to stay there b/c they could only be approved on Issa's income alone. I feel like Lawrence was contributing an average of 35%. And that's a decent contribution but it's not half.

Issa was able to pay the rent...she just couldn't pay the increase.

According to a 2017 CNBC article, 49% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. Another article states that black, educated women have a net worth of -$11k. That being said, it's not surprising that Issa cannot absorb the the rent increase.

I'm not saying that we (or Issa) shouldn't collectively do better financially. I'm just saying that Issa's trajectory is in line with the statistics...which is why I'm still pissed that Issa didn't get the promotion...but I digress.

:comeon:

You stay giving Issa more credit than she deserves. When Lawrence moved out she was clearly struggling. Examples....every episode she mentioned how broke she was, her putting $2 in her gas tank :russ: , Making Molly pay for her lunch. Lawrence was paying his share.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

You stay giving Issa more credit than she deserves. When Lawrence moved out she was clearly struggling. Examples....every episode she mentioned how broke she was, her putting $2 in her gas tank :russ: , Making Molly pay for her lunch. Lawrence was paying his share.
Exactly. U peep the bullshyt right? nikkas don't understand. That nikka had to have been the most responsible one in the relationship from the beginning based on the moves Issa been making. And the fact that the nikka even HAD enough savings to be jobless and looking while still being able to pay his share. Shows how responsible and disciplined he is when it comes to money.

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
Wait what? I gotta go back and watch the show. Where did they show he is engaged to a married woman? How is that even possible? So Chad is a simp too? How the hell did I miss that?

Lol. Yeah, when Chad & Lawrence were eating he said something like, "as soon as she gets her divorce." He admitted having side chicks too.

Exactly. U peep the bullshyt right? nikkas don't understand. That nikka had to have been the most responsible one in the relationship from the beginning based on the moves Issa been making. And the fact that the nikka even HAD enough savings to be jobless and looking while still being able to pay his share. Shows how responsible and disciplined he is when it comes to money.

Let's say Issa's total monthly bills was $2k a month & Lawrence contributed $500/monthly. Why wouldn't her budget be tight without the extra 5 bills? She's working at a non profit & saving money to fix her car.

Y'all hate Issa so much, that you won't even consider the obvious. Most people would miss the hypothetical $500 each month.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Even Kelly made the:stopitslime:when Issa said she could afford to live by herself.

Issa had to move out because rent went up $60, but apparently she was shouldering the financial burden for years:mjlol:

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Let's say Issa's total monthly bills was $2k a month & Lawrence contributed $500/monthly. Why wouldn't her budget be tight without the extra 5 bills? She's working at a non profit & saving money to fix her car.

this is a fair point. it's a lot that we don't know though.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Even Kelly made the:stopitslime:when Issa said she could afford to live by herself.

Issa had to move out because rent went up $60, but apparently she was shouldering the financial burden for years:mjlol:

lol this is a fair point as well. When Lawrence apologized to her, I initially took it as him apologizing bc she couldn't afford the crib w/o his contributions.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
the thing is, i see so many posting what they wish characters would have done, but it goes away from the theme of the show. or maybe people think "insecure" was only intended for issa rae.

lawrence became insecure because of issa cheating on him, this lead to him being non committal to tasha, not ready to be full bachelor and coming up short in the 3 some, and flipping on aparna, when you have a women that fine, you have to show the most ultimate confidence as dudes will always be on them.

molly is confident in her skills at her career but insecure in herself on the intimate level. she chooses messy situations that feel safe to her based on sex, and shun situations that challenge the other areas it takes to make a relationship successful. so if you treat her like a piece of p*ssy, she going, if you look like you want to build something with her, she finds a reason to get out of it, not because the guys are horrible, but because she doesnt feel secure enough to bring something other than her puzzy to the table.

daniel keeps going back to issa because he gets insecure when he feels he getting shaded. people forget that he cheated on issa in the 1st place and left her. that is how season 1 started.

the show stays true to the theme of the show, that is why its a great show. its many dynamics to insecurity, and sometimes i think the viewer who believes some of the choices made are signs of security, it reveals that some decisions we think we making that are "freedom of sex" "being a playa and sleeping around" are simply decisions of insecurity and those sex and playa decisions are done to cover up the insecurity. good shyt.

You got everything down except this.

Daniel and Issa were NEVER a couple. They were high school friends that kind of morphed into friends with benefits. When season 1 starts Issa and Lawrence have been a couple for 5 years and he's been unemployed for 2 of those years

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I understand where y'all are coming from BUT Lawrence has his own baggage and she hasn't judged him or showed she was uneasy during the party when he chased Issa to talk to her. She just came out and was like I'm leaving Lawrence and they left together.Bruh, 99.9% of women would lose their shyt if you chase your ex while you're at dinner. It's obvious to us and it's def obvious to her that Lawrence still has some feelings for Issa but has she ever brought that up to our knowledge? They both have fukked up situations which is why I felt it was fukked up that Lawrence acted like his shyt was clean. She gave Lawrence the benefit of doubt by not even questioning him and yet he's acting like a hoe because she's laughing at a text and assuming it's the dude she fukked. The way he brought it up was on some hoe shyt, only females do shyt like that. "He can't be that funny" :aicmon:
That, plus the fact that she was casually fukking a coworker is why he should've kept his guard up with her. Her not being concerned about him having still having feelings for his ex was a red flag too. she wasn't feeling him like that and was clearly not fully invested in their relationship. If she was she wouldn't have deaded it so quick despite him acting jealous/insecure over her and the coworker. Women can deal with a man that they're feeling showing some signs of jealousy.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
She needs to start her own non profit already but she's just comfortable being a bum hoe and being mediocre at work.

Your analysis describes a character from @Ziggiy web series Asha. She was cool with doing the minimum requirements asked of her and got a bit testy when her boss asked her why she was cool with it. Hopefully in the future, like on awkward black girl, Issa seeks out better rather than stick with her dead in job. I can see already her & Daniel's arrangement not panning out.