Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I was thinking the same thing about Tasha last episode b :francis: she wasn't as pretty as I thought.

Issa looks better. Tasha just got a better body.

I don't care what anyone says tho, the big girl is hot and I wanna see her knocking boots before this season over :whew:

Finest one on the show is Molly hands DOWN.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Sunday's episode was brilliant. I love the writers' way of showing the cascading effects of a single bad decision, and how friends, combined with immaturity force us into making decisions that eventually snowball out of control until we are finally confronted with disaster. I have so much to say about the episode but I will only discuss the two main characters for now. (Edit, I added Tasha as well since I really like the writing for her character).

Lawrence... The actor does a superb job in getting viewers to empathize with his conflicted nature.:mjcry::mjgrin: He wants to go back and reclaim whats his,:patrice: but unfortunately, we live in the universe of GMB :ufdup:and HOH:pacspit: where that type of false bravado is championed:myman: and simping and having emotions is frowned upon:to:. Caught in between these feelings, he makes a tragic decision to not only leave Issa, but to force a situation with Tasha based off feelings :whew:when he knows deep inside that it is not the woman for him. In the scene where Lawrence tells Tasha about him sleeping with Issa, although he claims honesty, his guilt is clearly eating away at his consciousness:francis:. If Lawrence were truly honest, he would have told Tasha the truth, which is the fact that he is still in love with Issa.:yeshrug: Him having sex with Issa is more than just sex, it's comfort in an uncomfortable world. I also like how they have Lawrence as this wandering man, stuck in a fog like haze of confusion. Letting others dictate his moves which he is incapable of because of the hurt and pain that is consuming his consciousness:wow:. I am almost hoping that the writers place Tasha getting pregnant into the storyline to see the devastation Lawrence's decision has caused.

Issa...The actress does a wonderful job getting emotional responses from both her male and female viewers.:troll: Issa is your typical selfish person who has comfortably lived an entire existence perched in her tree house of lies. Notice, her only conflict/un-comfort comes at the times when she looks at herself in the mirror. :usure:Her "circle of friends" dictate her actions which are usually not well intentioned. "You are who your friends are", or "birds of a feather flock together". The writers do a pretty amazing job showing how the dynamics of poisonous or toxic friendships could affect the outcome of Issa's behavior. "We all have problems" as one of the friends said. Some hide it better than others, :sas2:some put it on a pedestal in a window display for the world to observe. How we address our problems is the crux of the issue and the scene with her friends in the museum showed that in her time of despair, her friends were less than honest with her.:youngsabo: Honesty is the foundation of any relationship. So now with dishonesty, the roots of Issa's tree house is beginning to rot:gurl:. Ignoring the signs, Issa will stay in the tree house, watering and nurturing bad decisions and relationships until she falls out of the tree. Out of the safety of the tree and right into the hands of predators waiting for prey:demonic:...

Tasha...In the scene where Lawrence plays the role of the pouty:shaq2:, yet distant man in the situationship, she senses and recognizes a familiar form of distraction. She is well aware of her sexuality is not enough to hold a man and confronts the issue head on. Tasha sees this. She knows this. She has been there before. She recognizes the truth, which is why she abruptly asks him to leave:camby:. In a way, I like how the writers portray Tasha. Of the characters, she lives in a world that is the most realistic due to her upbringing and profession. She knows struggle and success because she is exposed to the reality of peoples financial situations. She lives in her reality which is also why she was quick to offer him food because as most people who live in "reality" would say, life ain't so black and white:manny:. Food is also a form of comfort for those who are distraught or going through hard times. I like the nurturing role that the writers created for that scene:cape:. Hopefully, when she gives Lawrence his wings to fly again, he does right by her and maintains her dignity when he decides to let go. Many of the black women viewers identify with Issa's group of friends on the show, when in reality, they traditionally in one way or another were in the role of Tasha at some point in their lives.

Last edited:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Amanda Diva looks unbiasedly better than all of them. And it ain't cause she's light skin. She just looks better. Tasha last season was the only one competing.

Yea, id give it to her, overall, but I like Tasha better.

Issa like the least attractive one on the show. and now she got a stick figure body to boot. :scusthov:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Sunday's episode was brilliant. I love the writers' way of showing the cascading effects of a single bad decision, and how friends, combined with immaturity force us into making decisions that eventually snowball out of control until we are finally confronted with disaster. I have so much to say about the episode but I will only discuss the two main characters for now. (Edit, I added Tasha as well since I really like the writing for her character).

Lawrence... The actor does a superb job in getting viewers to empathize with his conflicted nature.:mjcry::mjgrin: He wants to go back and reclaim whats his,:patrice: but unfortunately, we live in the universe of GMB :ufdup:and HOH:pacspit: where that type of false bravado is championed:myman: and simping and having emotions is frowned upon:to:. Caught in between these feelings, he makes a tragic decision to not only leave Issa, but to force a situation with Tasha based off feelings :whew:when he knows deep inside that it is not the woman for him. In the scene where Lawrence tells Tasha about him sleeping with Issa, although he claims honesty, his guilt is clearly eating away at his consciousness:francis:. If Lawrence were truly honest, he would have told Tasha the truth, which is the fact that he is still in love with Issa.:yeshrug: Him having sex with Issa is more than just sex, it's comfort in an uncomfortable world. I also like how they have Lawrence as this wandering man, stuck in a fog like haze of confusion. Letting others dictate his moves which he is incapable of because of the hurt and pain that is consuming his consciousness:wow:. I am almost hoping that the writers place Tasha getting pregnant into the storyline to see the devastation Lawrence's decision has caused.

Issa...The actress does a wonderful job getting emotional responses from both her male and female viewers.:troll: Issa is your typical selfish person who has comfortably lived an entire existence perched in her tree house of lies. Notice, her only conflict/un-comfort comes at the times when she looks at herself in the mirror. :usure:Her "circle of friends" dictate her actions which are usually not well intentioned. "You are who your friends are", or "birds of a feather flock together". The writers do a pretty amazing job showing how the dynamics of poisonous or toxic friendships could affect the outcome of Issa's behavior. "We all have problems" as one of the friends said. Some hide it better than others, :sas2:some put it on a pedestal in a window display for the world to observe. How we address our problems is the crux of the issue and the scene with her friends in the museum showed that in her time of despair, her friends were less than honest with her.:youngsabo: Honesty is the foundation of any relationship. So now with dishonesty, the roots of Issa's tree house is beginning to rot:gurl:. Ignoring the signs, Issa will stay in the tree house, watering and nurturing bad decisions and relationships until she falls out of the tree. Out of the safety of the tree and right into the hands of predators waiting for prey:demonic:...

Tasha...In the scene where Lawrence plays the role of the pouty:shaq2:, yet distant man in the situationship, she senses and recognizes a familiar form of distraction. She is well aware of her sexuality is not enough to hold a man and confronts the issue head on. Tasha sees this. She knows this. She has been there before. She recognizes the truth, which is why she abruptly asks him to leave:camby:. In a way, I like how the writers portray Tasha. Of the characters, she lives in a world that is the most realistic due to her upbringing and profession. She knows struggle and success because she is exposed to the reality of peoples financial situations. She lives in her reality which is also why she was quick to offer him food because as most people who live in "reality" would say, life ain't so black and white:manny:. Food is also a form of comfort for those who are distraught or going through hard times. I like the nurturing role that the writers created for that scene:cape:. Hopefully, when she gives Lawrence his wings to fly again, he does right by her and maintains her dignity when he decides to let go. Many of the black women viewers identify with Issa's group of friends on the show, when in reality, they traditionally in one way or another were in the role of Tasha at some point in their lives.
I hope Lawrence gets over his pain and decides to go on his own path without Issa. And he keeps it 100 with Tasha. Even tho Tasha has to know he's on the rebound and just broke up wit his girl. Tasha wanted him so bad she didn't care about boundaries. She didn't even care he had a girl in the first place.

Daps
the one liners this episode :pachaha:

"she look like she working at the pyramid ... TONIGHT"

"i thought u were on your pimp shyt ... then u went back to being a john legend azz nikka"

"plently of space ... one room for you one for your feelings"

jokes

Lawrence being honest is a good trait imo ... guess he isn't tryna go the savage route, for now

smh at that text in the end tho by Issa ... playin the game wrong this isn't it

this is life tho, naunces of relationship and infidelity is captured pretty well in this show, i just hope they avoid obvious cliches and tropes

Tupac in a Business Suit

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Another observation regarding the relationships with Issa and Co and honesty was the fact that Molly brought up Tasha's social media profile with the quickness. This leads me to believe that Issa's transgressions were a hot button of discussion (obviously not in her presence) and Molly was less than real with her honesty about the situation. Dont get me wrong, some folks are hardened in facing their realities and I do believe that her friends knew to keep the secret from her because they probably could see the exposure of Tasha doing more harm than good. The producers did an excellent job showing that Issa was also conflicted in her discovery of Tasha and needed answers because the idea of a Tasha is contrary to everything that she believes in her head about herself.

BlackDynamite310

All Star
Daps
Another observation regarding the relationships with Issa and Co and honesty was the fact that Molly brought up Tasha's social media profile with the quickness. This leads me to believe that Issa's transgressions were a hot button of discussion (obviously not in her presence) and Molly was less than real with her honesty about the situation. Dont get me wrong, some folks are hardened in facing their realities and I do believe that her friends knew to keep the secret from her because they probably could see the exposure of Tasha doing more harm than good. The producers did an excellent job showing that Issa was also conflicted in her discovery of Tasha and needed answers because the idea of a Tasha is contrary to everything that she believes in her head about herself.
Idk Molly told issa that she wasn't shyt and ruined it with a good black man that loved her during that fundraiser last year. She was real as hell with her and it's easy to pull up somebody on IG if you got a name even just a first name.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Idk Molly told issa that she wasn't shyt and ruined it with a good black man that loved her during that fundraiser last year. She was real as hell with her and it's easy to pull up somebody on IG if you got a name even just a first name.
I agree with you here. That interaction where she took the kid gloves off lead to a bad point in their relationship. Notice, in most of their interactions this season, she has the kid gloves on when confronting Issa with the hard truth which is why they all hid it from her. I agree about the part being easy to find someone but she had it up before they finished the sentence. The writer also shows Issa's trouble confronting the truth with her dealings with the racist Vice Principal. Once more, Issa has the chance to do the right thing but doesn't because she wants the program to succeed for her personal gain. This too, will come back to haunt her later on in the season. I will say one observation that I did notice is that the ONE person in the show who has always been honest since the first season has his stuff together (Lawrence's cousin).