Gyrocopter lands on Capitol lawn - doesn't get shot down

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
A small gyrocopter landed on the West Lawn of the Capitol on Wednesday, according to the U.S. Capitol Police.

"‎The U.S. Capitol Police is investigating a gyrocopter with a single occupant that has landed on the grassy area of the West Lawn of t‎he U.S. Capitol," said a Capitol Police spokeswoman. "The U.S. Capitol Police continues to investigate with one person detained and temporary street closures in the immediate area."

The security breach is sure to spark questions about how the pilot was able to land the small aircraft on the grounds of the Capitol....

The landing came on the same day that a Florida mailman named Doug Hughes, 61, said he would land his gyrocopter on the lawn of the Capitol and deliver letters demanding campaign finance reform to members of Congress. In a photo taken from the Capitol, the gyrocopter appeared to be decorated with the logo of the United States Postal Service.

Hughes told the Tampa Bay Times that he was particularly upset by the Supreme Court's ruling in the Citizen's United case, which allowed corporations and unions to donate unlimited funds to super-PACs. Campaign finance reformers say that the decision fundamentally changed the nature of politics and gave too much power to the very wealthy.

But Hughes said he decided to consider taking action, rather than just writing about his political views, when his 24-year-old son killed himself and another person in a car crash, according to the Times.

Hughes told the newspaper he had been visited by the Secret Service before he put together the plan for his copter protest — but that nothing came of the interview.

The Times later reported that the pilot who landed on the Capitol grounds was in fact Hughes....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/copter-lands-on-capitol-grounds/ar-AAb3sWn?ocid=mailsignout

Cliff's Notes: a "white" dude flew a gyrocopter into restricted airspace in Washington D.C. and did not get shot down. If he was wearing a turban or was black, maybe it would have ended differently.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
It's a gyrocopter not exactly easy to shoot down by jet and shyt, but i imagine it flew under radar too... :yeshrug:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I believe in campaign finance reform but this seems extreme...

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
It's a gyrocopter not exactly easy to shoot down by jet and shyt, but i imagine it flew under radar too... :yeshrug:
:comeon: They use Surface to Air missiles, breh. What Jets are you talking about:mjpls:

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
He left from Gettysburg, PA :ohhh:

He gave the secret service warning :why:

He flew through two no fly zones in downtown DC :dwillhuh:

Since when have gyrocopters been a thing? :what:

How much do they cost? :patrice:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
I've never heard of this either.....but looks like a way to beat a long commute..

heliworx-gyrocopter-flights.jpg

calid06.jpg

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I guess the gyrocopter was too small to appear on radar. That or he was flying low.
If it was bigger, they would have scrambled some air force jets to shoot it down.