Growing up in a city with a small black population is damaging to your blackness

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I grew up in white ass towns, surrounded by white people everywhere. I never even knew about black history, my culture nothing.

That old saying you are who you hang around, and all I hanged around was cacs, at one point it felt like a honor to be the token black male, like i was better than other black brehs and brehettes. In reality I was just a kewn azz nikka, I'm just finding myself now, my church is majority all black , at work now a bunch of minorities, its just refreshing to be amongst your people brehs.

@1stPick :salute:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
I grew up in white ass towns, surrounded by white people everywhere. I never even knew about black history, my culture nothing.

That old saying you are who you hang around, and all I hanged around was cacs, at one point it felt like a honor to be the token black male, like i was better than other black brehs and brehettes. In reality I was just a kewn azz nikka, I'm just finding myself now, my church is majority all black , at work now a bunch of minorities, its just refreshing to be amongst your people brehs.

@1stPick :salute:
Very true. Frantz Fanon's book "Black Skin, White Masks" is all about this and how it damages us psychologically. Whenever we run into any black children, we have to expose them to people, things, and ideas that look like them and come from people like them.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Very true. Frantz Fanon's book "Black Skin, White Masks" is all about this and how it damages us psychologically. Whenever we run into any black children, we have to expose them to people, things, and ideas that look like them and come from people like them.

book seems interesting going to cop:whoo:, but I agree growing up especially at a yougn age, you learn by observing and at school. All I had was white teachers, surrounded by white folks. Only times I saw or heard about black folks minus my family was when I watched the news and it was crime, or scantily clothed women in hiphop videos

you need to sticky a black book thread breh!!

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
book seems interesting going to cop:whoo:, but I agree growing up especially at a yougn age, you learn by observing and at school. All I had was white teachers, surrounded by white folks. Only times I saw or heard about black folks minus my family was when I watched the news and it was crime, or scantily clothed women in hiphop videos

you need to sticky a black book thread breh!!
That thread is coming soon:myman:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
I spoke on this my breh...
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/bein...iety-is-physically-mentally-hazardous.270000/

That bytchmade c00n ass fukking fakkit @philmonroe couldn't even dispute what I was saying so he had to talk shyt on me.
Stop talking tough online dude you another p*ssy that wouldn't even call a female dog a bytch IRL so stop fronting. Nothing c00n and or bytch made about me but you keep talking that dumb shyt. You the p*ssy that has to whine on here cause you're a social outcast always looking for assurances your life ain't shyt. So again FOH and stop talking tough online cause you don't get play from chicks. nikkas finally get a job making more than $7.50 a hour think they big shyt. FOH p*ssy and I did dispute what you said in the thread.

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
Yep. Being an artist I really enjoy being around a diverse group of people. Black, white, Asian, etc.

Its a great feelin seeing people from all kinds of backgrounds hangin out, sharing experiences, knowledge, etc....BUT as a black man I still have to have dat feelin of "home" regularly too.

Being around mah people is a necessity just like being around diversity is. Each provides me wit dat "nutrition" mah mind & spirit needs to thrive and excel in dis world.

Like one of da brehs said, dat balance of da two is so crucial to personal growth.

You can stay in a box if you feel more comfortable in it...just don't close da lids ya dig?:myman:

thirdeye

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Ehh, my family always educated about our blackness. Was it challenging? Yea but then again I didn't have much of a social life out of school, our cousins and I always hung out with each other.
I remember growing up watching civil rights VHS tapes my grandpa had and also he was very pro-black.

• Dap
Reactions: Yup