satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
8/12/16 Update:
Full Trailer:

Get in on it. Atlanta, FX’s new series from Donald Glover, premieres Sept 6 on FX.

6/10/16 Update:

New Promo:

Take a new direction. Atlanta, FX's new original series starring Donald Glover, premieres September on FX.

6/3/16 Update:

The first generic promo dropped:

It’s Atlanta. FX’s new original series starring Donald Glover begins this September.

10/15/15 Update:

Original post:
FX Orders New Donald Glover Comedy Pilot

Ex-Community star Glover will write and star in a new comedy for FX about an aspiring rapper.

12 DEC 2014 BY MATT FOWLER

FX Networks has ordered the comedy series pilot Atlanta created by and starring ex-Community star and 30 Rock writer Donald Glover.

Glover serves as Executive Producer, along with Paul Simms (Girls, Flight of the Conchords, NewsRadio), and Dianne McGunigle of Schiff Company. The pilot will be produced by FX Productions.

Glover will write and star in Atlanta, which revolves around two cousins on their way up through the Atlanta rap scene whose opposing views on art versus commerce, success and race will make their quest anything but easy. Glover will play “Earnest ‘Earn’ Marks,” a college drop-out who reconnects with his long buried ambition and sets out to seize the life he imagined for himself when his estranged cousin becomes a sudden star.

14glover_CA0-articleLarge.jpg

Donald Glover.

“Donald Glover is a uniquely talented actor and performer who brings real-life experience to this subject matter,” said Nick Grad, President of Original Programming for FX Networks and FX Productions. “Not only is Donald a very gifted actor, he has achieved tremendous success and acclaim as the musical artist Childish Gambino. He, along with Paul Simms, has a very honest, sometimes serious, and funny perspective on life, the world of rap music and the city of Atlanta.”

Atlanta is the fourth comedy series pilot produced or ordered by FX Networks this year, adds to the growing roster of comedies series and projects that is unmatched by any network. FX is currently in production on the comedy series pilot Pariah, starring Bill Burr for Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day and Glenn Howerton. In January FXX will launch Man Seeking Woman, starring Jay Baruchel from Simon Rich, Jonathan Krisel and Broadway Video, and in April FX will premiere The Comedians, starring Billy Crystal and Josh Gad, and next summer FX also launches Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll, starring Denis Leary and John Corbett.

Earlier this year, FX ordered Baskets (2016), starring Zach Galifianakis from Galifianakis and Louis C.K. and directed by Jonathan Krisel, and the untitled Tracy Morgan project (TBD).

FX Orders Donald Glover Comedy Pilot, Atlanta - IGN

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Sounds like another win for FX. I remember hearing about this awhile back, good to see it is moving forward. Donald is very talented, he was great on Community. Will be interesting to see him star in his own show.

I've been hearing about this show for a while, so I'm excited to see it's finally coming to fruition

Donald is one of my favorite young comedians, so I wish he focused more on TV and stand-up than music.

:patrice: I'm SHOCKED at his lack of supporting or minor roles in comedy films. I see the other cast members of "Community", "Parks & Rec", "The Office", & other similar type single-cam sitcoms in supporting or minor roles in comedy films ALL THE TIME. The only film I've seen him in is "The To Do List" & "The Muppets". I'm guessing it's because he's focusing on Music.

EDIT: I just looked at his filmography on Wikipedia. It looks like he's doing more movies now. He was in that "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" movie that came out a couple months ago.

He's also gonna be in at least 3 notable movies next year:
1. A horror movie "The Lazarus Effect"
2. The "Magic Mike" sequel, "Magic Mike XXL"
3. The Ridley Scott-directed & Drew Goddard-written Sci-Fi movie "The Martian".

Last edited:

ShaSolair

Rookie
Daps
:gladbron:YESSSSS!!!!! :blessed::blessed:
I can't wait. Donald is like Chris Rock in terms of how they both are socially conscious but can convey their opinions on subjects as touchy as Race with competence. :whew:
Meshing subtleties of sarcasm with surprising cleverness while their genuine concern on these topics being the undertone is their strong suites. :ohlawd:

...:ooh: Oh & If y'all haven't checked Donald's "Clapping for the wrong reasons" PLEASE DO! I hope the show has that aesthetic. I Think we may be on the verge of getting some CURRENT BLACK EXCELLENCE on our T.V's Brehz!!! :ahh::salute:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice: I'm SHOCKED at his lack of supporting or minor roles in comedy films. I see the other cast members of "Community", "Parks & Rec", "The Office", & other similar type single-cam sitcoms in supporting or minor roles in comedy films ALL THE TIME. The only film I've seen him in is "The To Do List" & "The Muppets". I'm guessing it's because he's focusing on Music.

EDIT: I just looked at his filmography on Wikipedia. It looks like he's doing more movies now. He was in that "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" movie that came out a couple months ago.

He's also gonna be in at least 3 notable movies next year:
1. A horror movie "The Lazarus Effect"
2. The "Magic Mike" sequel, "Magic Mike XXL"
3. The Ridley Scott-directed & Drew Goddard-written Sci-Fi movie "The Martian".
Yeah, I think he was focusing on music, recording and touring a lot during that period, main reason he left Community.

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
:gladbron:YESSSSS!!!!! :blessed::blessed:
I can't wait. Donald is like Chris Rock in terms of how they both are socially conscious but can convey their opinions on subjects as touchy as Race with competence. :whew:
Meshing subtleties of sarcasm with surprising cleverness while their genuine concern on these topics being the undertone is their strong suites. :ohlawd:

...:ooh: Oh & If y'all haven't checked Donald's "Clapping for the wrong reasons" PLEASE DO! I hope the show has that aesthetic. I Think we may be on the verge of getting some CURRENT BLACK EXCELLENCE on our T.V's Brehz!!! :ahh::salute:

Comparing glover to Chris Rock? :russ:

Kill ya self

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Really looking forward to this. I wonder who will play his characters' cousin?