Film Room Brehs and Sistrehs: Help Support Independent Black Cinema!!!

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
https://www.youtube.com/embed/CZhvEyIvnNg
http://igg.me/at/hailegerima <-----indiegogo page
http://yetutlijmovie.com/ <-----Official Movie page

If you already saw my thread in The Root then disregard. If not I'll be as brief as possible.

I work for an independent Black film maker named Haile Gerima, his most well known work is a film called "Sankofa" but he's made other films like Teza, Bush Mama, and Ashes & Embers. He's currently the esteemed professor of film at Howard University and has been since the mid-70s. I'm a wholesaler for his movies and the curator of books at his store which also goes by the same name. Beginning June 1st we will be launching an indiegogo campaign to raise funds for his new film. Right now though, I've been given the link to send to any close friends or people that I think may be interested in donating. The first thing I thought of was the coli so this indiegogo link is actually pretty exclusive since we ain't officially go live yet.

To make a long story short, Haile won a contest and was initially awarded funding from the EU to make his film but due to some fukkass technicality(:cacjpls1:smile:(I explain the technicality further in the thread) the money was taken back. As is, independent film making, let alone Black independent film making, is a grassroots effort that gets the whole community involved and does not enjoy the perks of being some well funded yet hollowed out, soulless, conformist bullshyt. So if you'd like to get involved in this movement please do not hesitate to donate anything that you can spare to the cause.

We can't complain about Black films that don't portray us properly or gives only a superficial view of Black life and culture. So when one of our own staunchly defends a cause like the independent creation of authentic Black culture it's in our best interest to support them. I don't want to make this just a Black thing though, you can be any color as long as you enjoy great indy films that can't and won't be compromised by the same bullshyt Hollywood formula. :hugoehh:

Donate if you can, or just spread the link out to your circle if any of them want to get involved. The indiegogo is http://igg.me/at/hailegerima and if you want to know more about the movie then follow the official twitter and instagram @yetutlijmovie or visit the official website http://yetutlijmovie.com/.

I(actually we) really really really really appreciate all the love and support yall. :wowkobe:

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
You lost me when you made this about race.

So be it, but I'd say its extremely naive on your part to think race doesn't play a factor when it comes to what does and doesn't get funded. Maybe you should watch one of his movies and you'll feel differently. I'll let you make that call tho.:yeshrug:

Thanks for your thoughts regardless breh. :tu:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
"due to some fukkass technicality() the money was taken back. "

Care to elaborate?

Ok, so Haile's film was in an EU Arts & Culture contest to be awarded funding for production. His movie won the contest and was awarded the money. The deal is you're awarded the money so long as there is a European involved in the production. So the guy he normally gets from Germany came down with serious health problems and could not participate in the project. So because of him not having that European producer they gave a deadline to raise the funds on our own so that he can keep the funding or it'll be taken back. By reaching our goal he would be awarded the money he got from the EU + the money that we raise.

So this is just a grassroots effort on our part to help support an independent film maker get his project out in amidst tremendous odds. I suggest yall check out his movies if yall haven't he's been around since the 70s so his work is very much inspired by his personal life experiences growing up in Ethiopia and going to school at UCLA during the height of the Civil Rights movement.

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
I guess some people are sensitive to reality's harshness.

lmao, I always hated "brehettes". shyt is "brotherette", type of shyt is "brotherette"? :wtfdylan:
yeah i never liked brehettes either. sistahs would do just fine but you know coli talk :yeshrug:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
why breh?

Because movies aren't defined by race/skin color. His pitch should be "hey I have this idea and I think it would make a good movie, could you please support us" not "Hey I'm a downtrodden individual, if you don't give me money you should feel guilty"

There is not a word in the text about the movie :heh:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Because movies aren't defined by race/skin color. His pitch should be "hey I have this idea and I think it would make a good movie, could you please support us" not "Hey I'm a downtrodden individual, if you don't give me money you should feel guilty"

There is not a word in the text about the movie :heh:

The movie descriprion is in the links provided and nothing about my approach comes off like your suggesting. I wont deny you the right to an opinion but its wrong.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
The movie descriprion is in the links provided and nothing about my approach comes off like your suggesting. I wont deny you the right to an opinion but its wrong.

I'm sure that approach wasn't the plan but it comes off that. Also a pitchman saying "you are misunderstanding me" isn't doing his job right. But I'll stay out of this thread so it can keep rolling without me getting in the way.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I'm sure that approach wasn't the plan but it comes off that. Also a pitchman saying "you are misunderstanding me" isn't doing his job right. But I'll stay out of this thread so it can keep rolling without me getting in the way.

Its all good I appreciate your suggestions. I'm just tellin yall what happened and why I'm asking for help. I purposely didnt put a movie description to make people look for themselves and decide if its a worthwhile project.

I will definitely keep all of what you said in mind tho.