You know my name.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D/FW
Eddie Murphy and Brett Ratner Re-Team for Netflix’s Music Mockumentary
BY NICK ROMANO 13 HOURS AGO

eddie-murphy-dreamgirls-600x200.jpg

The music mockumentary genre, which includes the iconic This Is Spinal Tap and the more recent Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, is getting another addition to the family with Netflix’s Soul Soul Soul: The Murray Murray Story. It’s way too soon to see if it’ll be anything like its predecessors, but as announced today the project marks a Tower Heist reunion between Eddie Murphy and director Brett Ratner.

Soul Soul Soul tells of a fake soul singer from the ‘60s named Murray Murray, who attempts to get his band back together to take down hip-hop after a new artist samples his hit. THR reports that the duo are in discussions to join the project, though they may choose to hold off on signing until they read the script, which Chris Case (Yahoo’s Sin City Saints) is writing.

Image via Universal

Tower Heist, Ratner’s 2011 film, saw Murphy as one of a group of guys who fall victim to their wealthy employer’s Ponzi scheme. The two were at one point planning to re-team for that long-gestating Beverly Hills Cop 4 before Paramount removed the sequel from its film slate. Around that time, Murphy implied the script was the reason for the hold up, remarking to Rolling Stone, “I’ve read a couple things that look like they can make some paper, but I’m not doing a shytty movie just to make some paper.”

Let’s hope he still has that mentality.

Murphy has kept off the screen for quite some time, but he’s attached to Lee DanielsRichard Pryor biopic, in which he plays Pryor’s father alongside Oprah,Marlon Wayans, Mike Epps, and Kate Hudson. His latest project, Mr. Church, co-stars Tomorrowland’s Britt Robertson and made its debut at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. No release date has been set.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
. Around that time, Murphy implied the script was the reason for the hold up, remarking to Rolling Stone, “I’ve read a couple things that look like they can make some paper, but I’m not doing a shytty movie just to make some paper.”

Let’s hope he still has that mentality.

Murphy has kept off the screen for quite some time, but he’s attached to Lee DanielsRichard Pryor biopic, in which he plays Pryor’s father alongside Oprah,Marlon Wayans, Mike Epps, and Kate Hudson. His latest project, Mr. Church, co-stars Tomorrowland’s Britt Robertson and made its debut at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. No release date has been set.

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conference.gif

I'm not even gonna go down Eddie's filmography for the last 10 years or so. I know he said he wanted to make movies his kids could watch after his raunchy shyt, but did he not realize how true to form he was in Tower Heist and that other soul movie I never watched but heard nothing but good shyt from it?:mindblown:

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
That's what I want to know. I'm down for this as an idea and with him but Ratner directing?:camby:
Ratner is cool when he does comedies Rush Hour 1 & 2, Money Talks are goat. This sounds interesting and i hope Eddie is really taking that no shyt script line to heart it's time for the goat to be making quality piff again .

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
that depends on the script honestly

You're right so let me rephrase it: Good satire requires some kind of subtlety. Which is something he doesn't know how to spell. Plus when is the last time you've ever seen bret with a good script? The rush hour movies survive on the strength of chris and jackie. If not for them, them shyts would be ass cheeks so it ain't the script.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
You're right so let me rephrase it: Good satire requires some kind of subtlety. Which is something he doesn't know how to spell. Plus when is the last time you've ever seen bret with a good script? The rush hour movies survive on the strength of chris and jackie. If not for them, them shyts would be ass cheeks so it ain't the script.
Red Dragon I guess ( haven't seen it) lmao but it isn't outside of the realm he tends to work best with charismatic funny leads in a outrageous story.