dj quik & kurupt - blaqkout album appreciation thread

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
great album :myman:

honestly, this album is better than all 3 of quik's last solo albums (the midnight life, the book of david and trauma)

kurupt sounded the best he's sounded in a loooooooooong time :wow:

the production and sequencin' on this album was excellent :ohlawd:

855568001170CD.jpg

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
the music videos :lawd:

the samplin' of both soul II soul's "back to life" and tony! toni! tone!'s "anniversary" for quik and kurupt's "do you know":banderas:

the samples :mjcry:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Underrated album...only had one terrible song (Jupiter) and a couple meh (Whatcha Wan Do, both versions)

Oooh was FLAME

I'd put it on par with Trauma, better than BOD and TML

you know what, i agree

i really fukked with trauma because it had a coherent sound and i like the way the sequencin' on it. the more i listen to the book of david which i really liked at first, the more i realize it only had a couple of moments here and there but other than that it's quik on cruise control to the 10th power though. the midnight life was the first quik album that had me like :dahell: and :patrice: because it was the first time i ever found myself findin' a quik album a task to listen too. i think there was only like 2 songs i really liked on it, "quik's groove", "bacon's groove", el's interlude, "pet semetary", and maybe one other song. but that was it. that album was all over the place imo

but yeah, blaqkout is miles and miles better than the book of david and the midnight life

yeah and "oooh" was nice

i love how quik sampled "anniversary" and "back to life" for "do you know". that shyt is so smooth, clean and peaceful :banderas:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps

Hey Playa sample @ 23:05

The nikka sampled some random dude singing:damn:

yeah, i remember him talkin' bout this in an interview :obama:

good lookin' out on the link to the episode, i still hadn't seen it before. dap and + rep:myman:

quik is a genius :wow:

• Dap
Reactions: JMD

Super Cheech

I Feel So Westcoast
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles / SOHH Icey
you know what, i agree

i really fukked with trauma because it had a coherent sound and i like the way the sequencin' on it. the more i listen to the book of david which i really liked at first, the more i realize it only had a couple of moments here and there but other than that it's quik on cruise control to the 10th power though. the midnight life was the first quik album that had me like :dahell: and :patrice: because it was the first time i ever found myself findin' a quik album a task to listen too. i think there was only like 2 songs i really liked on it, "quik's groove", "bacon's groove", el's interlude, "pet semetary", and maybe one other song. but that was it. that album was all over the place imo

but yeah, blaqkout is miles and miles better than the book of david and the midnight life

yeah and "oooh" was nice

i love how quik sampled "anniversary" and "back to life" for "do you know". that shyt is so smooth, clean and peaceful :banderas:

off the bat BOD and TML didn't seem like Quik albums...they dont have that vibe. I agree with TML feeling like a chore to get all the way through, I was really feeling only about half the album

BOD the same...although the stand out tracks from both albums were REALLY DOPE...but just not enough

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
off the bat BOD and TML didn't seem like Quik albums...they dont have that vibe. I agree with TML feeling like a chore to get all the way through, I was really feeling only about half the album

BOD the same...although the stand out tracks from both albums were REALLY DOPE...but just not enough

exactly, quik's album have a sound from the beginnin' to end. he's artist that comes from the era of when an album had a coherent sound and feel

yeah, when the songs on the book of david were nice, they were nice

like these are my favorites from book of david

(this is my shyt! quik be makin' that shyt you can 2 step too)

this is just sinister :merchant: that beastie boys' "paul revere" influence :wow:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
I remember in an interview years ago kurupt said they were making another one, and another one after that. :stopitslime:was my initial reaction. This nikka kurupt be talking out his ass when it comes to shyt he's working on. But then this shyt dropped:gladbron:.

2 1/2 years later, no new album. :mjcry:

Super Cheech

I Feel So Westcoast
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles / SOHH Icey
All the songs you posted from BOD were my favorites too..sadly those two albums also birthed the wackest Quik songs to date

REALLy hated the hook on this song...beat was meh

This is not a Quik song breh :-(

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I remember in an interview years ago kurupt said they were making another one. :stopitslime:was my initial reaction. This nikka kurupt be talking out his ass when it comes to shyt he's working on. But then this shyt dropped:gladbron:.

2 1/2 years later, album. :mjcry:

yeah, "the demon's carol" is demonic as fukk :merchant:

Last edited: