Debate: White Supremacy Vs. Self Accountability/Responsibility

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Yes, white supremacy should be blamed for most acts of violence that happens in black communities.
Do we as black people agree with this?? How do you personally feel about this quote?? Ive been wanting to make this thread because it seems like EVERY single crime that a black person commits is eventually blamed on "white supremacy". Every thread eventually turns into a "white supremacy vs. self accountability" debate. And whats worse is that anyone who dares mention what WE need to do as a people is labeled a "c00n" or "regurgitating Fox News talking points".

Obviously systematic oppression (i hate using the term "white supremacy" btw:snoop:) is the root cause for alot of problems on the macro level, but to let every knucklehead off the hook with it is dangerous in my opinion. All of the crimes and unwise decisions are NOT taking place because they are in poverty or because the white man is "holding them down".

I know personal accountability is a subject that alot of us dont want to talk about, but at the end of the day WE are the ones that are in control of our own destiny. Change on any level starts with a change in one's own mentality. That goes for the biggest revolutions to a woman finally leaving her abusive boyfriend on down to a kid finally sticking up to his bully. It starts with a change of one's OWN mindset.

I dont know if we're waiting on the white man to one day say "im sorry for oppressing you these past 400+ years, what can i do to make everything better?", but i got news for yall, THAT DAY IS NEVER COMING!!!!

We can sit around blaming "white supremacy" all we want, but thats not going to do anything. I will say that RECOGNIZING the concept of systemic oppression and who our real enemy is is the 1st step towards combatting it tho. I think we are in this step currently. I think alot of us are really becoming aware of the concept of "white supremacy" within the past few years. I dont think most of us were truly aware of how deep and systematic racism truly is. I know this is the case for me personally and i think it reflects on the The Coli also. Ive seen more threads about race/white supremacy the last year or so than ever before. We are waking up. Hell, The creation of The Root section is a result of this awakening.

Ill admit, when i 1st became more aware of "white supremacy" i was one of those that wanted to blame EVERYTHING on it. It made me angry. Everything was about the big bad evil white man. Every black man in prison was a result of "the white man". But now ive calmed down and have moved on to "whats next". What i mean by that is "ok, i realize white supremacy is the root cause.......but whats next? What are WE gonna do about it?"

So my question for all of you who blames "white supremacy" on everything, what exactly is the next step now that we recognize the root cause?? Are we waiting for THEM to change and make things better for us or is that OUR responsibility to force that change for ourselves?? Im just curious on you guys mindset as far as what do you guys think OUR OWN role is in achieving progression as a people??

@FrederickDouglas this isn't a shot against you personally btw, i just thought it was a perfect quote to jumpstart this convo

Peace yall

aa_2001

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why did you leave out the rest of his quote? :jbhmm:

Yes, white supremacy should be blamed for most acts of violence that happens in black communities...as well as the killers. They share the blame.

And you don't have to worry about the killers being punished. The system wants as many black men dead or in jail as possible

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
can someone recommend me a documentary so I can learn about the history of Africa

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

N711oir

All Star
Daps
I prefer "white lunacy". But in studying ancient cultures some would sacrifice "they say" hundreds of thousands of people from within their own communities and countries:ohhh: and it's like what makes a people so brain washed to deliver over their family members and or even themselves? To be so passive?

It's when you're niave and you believe the system back then mainly religion, today it's government which is like a religion. But when we wake up and realize this government has been at war with us from inception. We will do better. But when you believe in the "justice system" you're ok with letting them lock up yourself or family members/ your ok with them shooting your unarmed brothers and sisters in public in cold blood :snoop:then just doing a polite political stroll or "March" to show your anger.
I'm not saying we escape culpability for our actions. But it's like taking to task Jay walkers during hurricane Katrina. The rules of the game will always keep changing. Like they say now if young black men would dress better they wouldn't get harrassed and shot by cops. Look at old pics of lynchings ( if you can stomach ) those brothers where wearing three piece suits!!!

And they would advertise in papers for their white families to come out and watch this sh!it. Where you think word pic - nic comes from:mjpls:. And this wasn't that long ago.
For me untile we all on the same page for that revolution talk, were we govern ourselves any change one sees is marginal at best and on an individual level.

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
This is the way I look at it

White supremacy and instutional racism created ghettos and kept the ghettos poor

But does institutional racism get the blame for killing people over Jordans? No

Is institutional racism to blame for shooting someone for stepping on your shoes? No

Is institutional racism to blame for fathers leaving their children? No

Does institutional racism get the blame for crack? Yes. And what did crack cause? The large cycle of problems we see today.

So really it isn't black and white, it's more of gray area. White supremacy/ institutional/ economic racism set up the cycle that many black youth get stuck in.

But now it's a self perpetuating cycle. Racism destroyed the black community enough to where now, poor black communities year themselves apart without the help of racism. Tupac tried to reappropriate nikka and thug but his message went over the head of most people. Only the negative connotations of thug stuck not the reappropiation

Eventually the black youth has to realize that the system doesn't care about them and that the only way to succeed is to break out of this self perpetuating cycle

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I doubt any of us are out here shooting nikkas and blaming white supremacy.

Both whites who enact and support racism and blacks who murder their fellow man, are my enemies.

Both are the product of a system based on white supremacy. We hold the individuals responsible, but we will never run out of individual enemies unless we focus on the system based on white supremacy.

Sithlord Piff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
If you dont know the role segregation laws, redlining, the Homestead Act and White unions played in White prosperity and Black poverty, you won't understand why there's a black ghetto and white suburbs today. Cacs set up laws to disenfranchise black people which created generational poverty which leads to high crime rates then they lock us up washed the dirt off their hands and made us think it was our own fault. I dont play those games...the root of condition is created by the system White supremacy. Theres nothing to debate.

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
If we know what time it is......if we know why whites put things into place.....why are we so reluctant to change shyt ourselves?

It's almost as if we're waiting for white people to lift us out of the place those same white people put us to begin with.
shyt's just not gonna happen.
Exactly

We know the system/ whites don't care about us, because they're the ones that put our people in this situation in the first place

So why would we sit around and wait for whites to acknowledge our shortcomings and disparities instead of looking inward for change?