Covert Racism and whitewashing in Hollywood Movies

Aceofspades404

Superstar
Daps
This is a piggyback off of @Colicat 's thread where I wanted to shed more light and hopefully other posters can give a little bit more insight.
It seems that many are perplexed at the idea of casting black actors of varying shades to play certain roles would be considered whitewashing. To many black is black so it shouldn't be a problem right? Wrong.
Colorism was a device used by white supremacy as a result of miscegenation. Even though the one-drop rule was created to prevent blacks with white ancestry from gaining the same legal status as whites, light skin blacks were still perceived as smarter, less dangerous, and more superior.
Whitewashing isn't necessarily always a black and white thing (literally) and colorism is used as a form of whitewashing through the media.
Let's first look at the movie Precious.
Herself, a 16 year old mother of 2 kids, her physically and verbally abusive mother, and her drug adict rapist of a father are all dark skinned. But her teacher, her social worker, and nurse who had positivity on her life are all light skinned. Coincidence?
Storm from the x-men comic books has always been a dark skinned woman.
storm1-768x1024.jpg
Young-Storm-and-Parents.jpg

Why has she never been depicted as such in any of the films?

A more blatant and egregious use of it

You mean to tell me that there were no dark skinned actresses that could play the role?

Moving right along to some of the racist things I didn't notice in some movies until I watched them a 2nd or 3rd time.
18o6ar9pbll2njpg.jpg

Avatar is simply a remake of white America's foundational genocide, and white ppl's obsession of wanting to be other but never having to fully face the negatives of other. Jake's white privilege allows him to live as a Na'vi without truly ever experiencing it because he can go back to human mode when convenient. He also expresses the ideas of white guilt and how whites think they can absolve themselves of past crimes for "good" behavior and become as status symbol to the minority group.
Being a big transformers fan whose only concern with Revenge of the Fallen was how horrible the plot was, some of the things I see now would have completely missed my eyes if I hadn't been forced to look at it.
skids-mudflap.jpg

Skids and mudflap appear in the movie bearing urban voices, big ears, and buck teeth. They even state that they don't do too much reading and skids even has a gold tooth.

Do you guys have more that you'd like to share?

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps
Jem-and-the-holograms-Shana-.jpeg

^^^I remember this controversy. A biracial actor playing a black cartoon character is the perfect example of Hollywood's issue with colorism in its casting of characters to appeal to a mass audience rather than challenging current standards to allow for more diversity.

Good thread, OP. For some reason people here have a problem talking about colorism, and try to pretend that it doesn't exist. It does.

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
CAC's gonna CAC. Look at Gods of Egypt. There is no way white people could survive in that hot son without dying. Black people need to look to ourselves for our movies. We need to support black arts (films, music, shows). There are multiple channels on youtube with an all black, if not mostly black cast and they make great shows. More funding equals longer shows and even movies.

The couple - Black and sexy tv they also have many other great shows.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
We all grew up on movies and shows where the love interest is white therefore trying to brainwash us to want white people only.

Look back at all the shows youve watched from youth to now and notice how black love interests are rare outside of black media.

They get at you right after you are born.

Black media needs to rise.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
1401x788-20140928_alexandrashipp_1800.jpg

storm in the next x-men movie :dead: they give no fukks about replacing black women with biracial women in hollywood.
why would they make her dark skinned if she's been light skinned every movie and they are all connected?

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Because the original Storm is black, and they made her biracial. Thats the issue.
yeah but that post makes it seem as if it's been light skinned storm's galore, when it has only been 1. that girl is supposed to grow into Halle Berry, why would they choose a dark person for that?