Charles Woods on Sydney Poitier and Blaxploitation

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
Do you think blaxplotation films helped with the image of black people in cinema when they displayed the scenarios he talked about that were previously forbidden? It's been said that those blaxplotation films presented a very negative overall image of blacks. What's your take on that?

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Do you think blaxplotation films helped with the image of black people in cinema when they displayed the scenarios he talked about that were previously forbidden? It's been said that those blaxplotation films presented a very negative overall image of blacks. What's your take on that?
Blacks prior to blaxploitation films, were portrayed as passive, docile, mammies, buffoons, etc, outside of a select few actors it seemed. You had Blacks that were in serious roles like Sydney, but for the most part they'd be relegated to sidekick status and what have you. While you still had some goofy black characters in blaxploitation films, they really gave the audience a chance to view films through a black perspective, in which the lead hero, heroes girl, sidekicks, were all black. Though the stereotypes of Black people exhibited with blaxploitation films has pigeonholed some black actors into certain roles, and has created designated tropes for Blacks in films, blaxploitation films have opened the door for certain Black mainstays in Hollywood. It's a double edged sword.

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
Blacks prior to blaxploitation films, were portrayed as passive, docile, mammies, buffoons, etc, outside of a select few actors it seemed. You had Blacks that were in serious roles like Sydney, but for the most part they'd be relegated to sidekick status and what have you. While you still had some goofy black characters in blaxploitation films, they really gave the audience a chance to view films through a black perspective, in which the lead hero, heroes girl, sidekicks, were all black. Though the stereotypes of Black people exhibited with blaxploitation films has pigeonholed some black actors into certain roles, and has created designated tropes for Blacks in films, blaxploitation films have opened the door for certain Black mainstays in Hollywood. It's a double edged sword.

It's sad because I feel a lot of the progress blacks make in this country ends up being double edged sword.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

blaxplotation films to me was the gangster rap of the 1970's. It was our stories told how white people wants them told. I

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
blaxplotation films to me was the gangster rap of the 1970's. It was our stories told how white people wants them told. I

I somewhat agree, but as @ma3polo stated there were noble intentions with the telling of the story and the negative ended up being the focus and you lose the balance of the negative and positive.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

Yea that's what I always figured too.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Blaxploitation films were used to degrade and normalize destructive behaviors in the black community. Probably one of the worst things to happen tbh

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Good interview with Charles Woods on the Reel Black YouTube channel. Charles Woods connects Sydney Poitier's role in In The Heat of The Night, as the spark to Blaxploitation films.

Actually Melvin Van Peeple's movie did. Sweet Black whatever it is and I am too lazy to search up.