Can the Lakers be the Cowboys of the NBA this season?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.lakersnation.com/top-videos-kobe-bryant-and-steve-nash-are-looking-good/2014/09/28/

almost everyone is counting out the Lakers this season, much like the Cowboys were counted out before the NFL season. now at the quarter mark, they are 3-1 and looking like a playoff team.

I think the Lakers will be MUCH better than many think. They are not a title contender, there really are only 4 teams you can count as title contenders in the league. But I think they can be a 5-6 seed in the West. Kobe and Nash will have resugent seasons. And Julius Randle will be ROY.

They'll be ALOT better than people think.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
On Paper the lakers are not better than the following west teams
Spurs
OKC
Clippers
Houston
Blazers
Warriors
Memphis
Dallas
Phoenix
New Orleans

So if your rooting for the lakers you would best hope for injuries to decimate other teams while Kobe and Nash play like it's 2006 again. I could see the lakers winning between 42-45 games if all breaks well for them, but even so that's not enough wins to make the playoffs in the wild wild west.

Also for dallas, let's wait until december when they usually implode to judge them correctly.

Pdiddy

Superstar
Daps
Hell-No.gif

Ben.

Heisenbrook
Daps
Reppin
Orlando, FL
Lakers are AT BEST an 8th seed

Steve Nash will get injured and Juluis Randle will be alright (prolly top 5 Rook), Kobe will score a lot but it won't translate into wins

less that 35 win season, 12-13th seed

Dayco23

World Champion
Daps
Reppin
Ohio
No, and here's why:

1. Your starting PG and SG are old as fukk and way past their primes. Both are injury prone.
2. Whoever your starting SF is would not be a starter on any contender.
3. You replaced Pau Gasol with fukking Boozer :heh:
4. Dwight Howard left your ass, so you have Jordan Hill, whos good but not great. :manny:
5. Byron Scott is an awful coach and Kobe will not listen to him. Byron will give up on the team by February.
6. you have some young talent, but its not good enough to get you an 8th seed. Randle has promise.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
As long as they have a healthy Kobe they'll remain relevant and in playoff hunt IMO. Kobe has taken his game to the point where he can still have an impact despite losing some of his athleticism. At this point he's like the 2011 Paul Pierce: Wont beat you off the dribble often but crafty enough to still drop 20+

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
On Paper the lakers are not better than the following west teams
Spurs
OKC
Clippers
Houston
Blazers
Warriors
Memphis
Dallas
Phoenix
New Orleans

So if your rooting for the lakers you would best hope for injuries to decimate other teams while Kobe and Nash play like it's 2006 again. I could see the lakers winning between 42-45 games if all breaks well for them, but even so that's not enough wins to make the playoffs in the wild wild west.

Also for dallas, let's wait until december when they usually implode to judge them correctly.
Hmm... now that i've seen this list :patrice:
Sorry Laker fans :pachaha:
Byron Scott is an awful coach and Kobe will not listen to him. Byron will give up on the team by February
This is why i was praying that Kevin Ollie doesnt go to the Lakers. Kobe's ego + Young coach doesnt seem like a good mix for said coach's future.

Last edited:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
No, and here's why:

1. Your starting PG and SG are old as fukk and way past their primes. Both are injury prone.

How is Kobe "injury prone"? Yes, he tore his achilles at the very end of the 2013 season, and never fully recovered from it in 2014 which caused strain on the knee, but from 2011-2013...he missed a grand total of 12 games.

That's less than LeBron did, Kyrie Irving did, AND Kevin Love did over the same 3 season period. Im sure you arent calling them "injury prone":mjpls:

2. Whoever your starting SF is would not be a starter on any contender.

So what breh? Neither would the starting SG or C on the Thunder....that doesnt mean anything really:manny:

3. You replaced Pau Gasol with fukking Boozer :heh:

You must havent seen much of Pau Gasol over the past 3 seasons. Their stats are about equal, save for the minutes, but Boozer is a much more physical player and better rebounder. I'd take it.

4. Dwight Howard left your ass, so you have Jordan Hill, whos good but not great. :manny:

Having Dwight Howard doesnt mean anything. What happened to the Rockets with Howard surrounded by Harden, Parsons, Jones, and Beverley last season? They lost in the 1st round and he only won 2 more games than he did with the a lineup of Gasol, World Peace, Goudelock, and Morris in the playoffs:usure:

5. Byron Scott is an awful coach and Kobe will not listen to him. Byron will give up on the team by February.

I disagree. The Cavs were an awful team with an awful roster...Byron's not an awful coach. His track record with the Hornets and Nets say differently

6. you have some young talent, but its not good enough to get you an 8th seed. Randle has promise.

The eighth seed last year was 49-33, in 2013 it was 45-37, in 2012 it was a shortened season so Im not counting it, in 2011 it was 46-36, in 2010 it was 50-32, and in 2009 it was 48-34.

That's a 5 full season average of 48-34 for the 8th seed.

Can the Lakers win 48 games? Yes, it's possible. It's not something that cannot be done...but it's not something that can be guaranteed. It's not a number that out of the realms of possibilty though:yeshrug: