Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Chapter One : Choices

Five months ago

Have you ever noticed that you come to certain points in your life, when it is no longer your own. When you hit that fork in the road and realize the car won’t make that right turn and goes left instead. Well that’s what it was like the day my grandfather died, but not for the reasons you might think. Don’t get me wrong I loved my granddad, but some familial obligations are more demanding than others are.

“So you’re coming back to New York right?” My cousin Ebony’s voice was teary and unsteady over the phone. “Mom and I have to sort out the estate and such.”

“Yeah I know I’ll be there.” My sigh was louder than I meant it to be.

“There’s also the other stuff, in the ‘will’ that needs to be discussed.”

This sigh made my last one seem like a whisper, there is always that one thing that a family has. Skeletons in the closet, that illegitimate child, the gay uncle the demented great aunt, things that back in the day no one would speak of lest they come to the fore. This wasn’t any of those things although nowadays none of them would be looked down upon, my problem was in its nature larger than I was and in some cases my surviving family entirely.

“What’s the matter baby?” Téa sat up in the bed, cover to her bare chest, remote in hand.

I turned and looked at her, I felt that she was so much more than my girlfriend but my partner in a new life, my new life. Free from being duty bound to ancient patron Gods who happen to be long lost ancestors, or whatever it was my grandparents called the Celestial Arcana. I was living in Chicago, Rogers park to be exact, and had just finished my last year of college; no one from my family came to my graduation. The only congratulations I got were from a familiar looking kid in his teens named Blake and of course Téa. She was always behind me always beside, my rock in the shifting desert and I was determined to be the same for her. When we’d first met at a concert for some local rap acts at ISU, it was odd. I’d never been one to hit on girls in such crowded venues; the chance for a public rejection was too high. However, that night, in that place, something told me to say something and that if I didn’t it would affect the rest of my life. She stood at the bar casually sipping something and I ordered my favorite cranberry and ginger ale. I never drank alcohol; I didn’t like the idea of losing self-control.

I noticed that her hair was wrapped up and asked if she was cultivating locks, like I was. She smiled looked up at me and said “Don’t you know it’s not nice to ask a black woman about her hair.” Of course, I knew and in an attempt to cover my mistake I remarked, “We could talk about other things.” This set her laughing, and she replied “Ok why are you the only guy at the bar drinking, a cranberry and ginger ale, don’t you think that’s soft?” She looked at me with a smirk, she was waiting for me to defend my masculinity, I suppose if I did It’d prove I was insecure, so I answered honestly. “I don’t like the lack of control alcohol breeds.” She looked at me for a second and then smiled, “Nice answer.”

“It’s the truth.” I sipped my drink. From then on; we spent the whole night talking I learned that she was cultivating dreadlocks and we were both from New York, but her parents moved her to Chicago when she was 13 to do work. After several hours more of standard questioning, I finally got her number. The very next day we were an item, it was almost too good to be true. She was perfect, she was strong willed, and ambitious, she loved to read not to mention she was built with a frame praised by the Commodores. What we really connected on was the desire to help the Black community, she thought that by building them up, and teaching them their real history, they’d be able to progress. I thought that they could be more acclimated to it by creating fiction based on it. We’d talk about her plan to open up a restaurant to promote healthy eating among the people. Upon asking her why she was journalism major she remarked that her parents were both Journalists and pushed her to pursue it although her heart wasn’t really in it. We would then discuss my novel about an old legend in my family that I thought I’d write. The story started in Harlem, New York and was based on some old black occultists; it seemed to hit a nerve with her. She told me her estranged uncle had told her about a similar event when she was young, but she was convinced it was just a fairytale. I wish at the time that it was, because all those fairytales, those storybook fantasies, that dream stuff was about to affect my life in a very large, irreversible way. I dropped my phone, lay down next to Téa, and held her tightly, like a baby to its mother.

“What’s the matter baby?” She stroked my hair. “Who was that on the phone?”

I looked up at her with all the moroseness my eyes could muster and I felt tears well up, tears for my grand father, tears for my family and tears for my own life as I knew it, which would very soon end. Lost to something that took away so many of the Ripley line, a life that made us exceptional and at the same time so very outcast. I thought about what this would mean for the future Téa and I planned to build and I wept, they said that fate was a cruel mistress, but magic was even crueler and she had decided my time had come…to lay down my life for a cause so old it didn’t have a singular name. “My grandfather died…uh…. the funeral is next week… in New York.” I must’ve sounded like a kid who skinned his knee for the first time.

Last edited:

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
Every story has not two, but multiple sides to it. Some span lifetimes others generations and some very rare ones span realities. It all depends on how many dimensions you can see it in. This is one such story, a story of family, of secrets and the duty that goes along with it. This story has and is being played out on multiple planes of existence, sometimes one after the other, sometimes simultaneously. The details of the story and how it relates to itself among the various realities is complicated but needless to say this chapter of it, which will probably be a long one, should help to elaborate on the intricacies of the grander picture in both depth and scope. I’m am aware that in this reality there is a tendency to reject or block out things which the mind cannot comprehend, but I assure you that this is not only comprehensible but completely understandable. However that is only for the few who would understand this sort of thing. A myth wrapped in a legend packaged in a good bit of lore. But like any other story, there is some truth to it, some irrefutable fact. A fact that makes it seems so much more real than the mundane realities and eventually supersedes it. The fact is of course that no story is just a story and so they are all in actuality real somewhere. So sit back, enjoy and pay attention cause your reality might be next on the totem pole.

-The Geist, The Prince at the Gateway

@Turk @Booksnrain

Is this the Grendel? :ld:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Struggled to make it to the 3/4 mark.

Sounded trite. The voice was weird. The second person thing is kind of a no no.

Plays are about monologues, movies are about pictures, and novels are about the inner thoughts of the characters. Or maybe more broadly gobs and gobs of back story and asides about simple things like an old chair.

The character walked in and saw the chair. When that chair was new it was 1945 and the war was on. ... w/e

So talking to the audience about what they know and believe is sort of extra. If you want to communicate the idea that some stories have multiple sides, you tell a story with multiple sides and have the reader glean it from the material.

Hope that helps.

getdatworkmc

Rookie
Daps
shyt slapped srs

Plays are about monologues, movies are about pictures, and novels are about the inner thoughts of the characters. Or maybe more broadly gobs and gobs of back story and asides about simple things like an old chair.

The character walked in and saw the chair. When that chair was new it was 1945 and the war was on. ... w/e

So talking to the audience about what they know and believe is sort of extra. If you want to communicate the idea that some stories have multiple sides, you tell a story with multiple sides and have the reader glean it from the material.

Hope that helps.
quit hatin

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

Hope that helps.

I don't think it did. The person speaking is a multi-versal God. If you've ever read Neil Gaiman's Sandman (specfically Overture) I'm using the idea of ubquity on a quantum level. The person speaking is the observer and the observed on multiple planes of existence. I'm attempting to build a multiverse with this as it's preface. I can see why it would confuse you as that is off the page.

Is this the Grendel? :ld:
I was the Grendel.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Every story has not two, but multiple sides to it. Some span lifetimes others generations and some very rare ones span realities. It all depends on how many dimensions you can see it in. This is one such story, a story of family, of secrets and the duty that goes along with it. This story has and is being played out on multiple planes of existence, sometimes one after the other, sometimes simultaneously. The details of the story and how it relates to itself among the various realities is complicated but needless to say this chapter of it, which will probably be a long one, should help to elaborate on the intricacies of the grander picture in both depth and scope. I’m am aware that in this reality there is a tendency to reject or block out things which the mind cannot comprehend, but I assure you that this is not only comprehensible but completely understandable. However that is only for the few who would understand this sort of thing. A myth wrapped in a legend packaged in a good bit of lore. But like any other story, there is some truth to it, some irrefutable fact. A fact that makes it seems so much more real than the mundane realities and eventually supersedes it. The fact is of course that no story is just a story and so they are all in actuality real somewhere. So sit back, enjoy and pay attention cause your reality might be next on the totem pole.

@Turk @Booksnrain

All of which is bolded can be erased. It's a lot of padding and you are switching between first and third person without real intent behind those words.

It seemed like the intro from a speaker on the plot of a play Shakespeare would debut.

Also getting Cloud Atlas vibes from this.

You may want to fix the misplaced commas and grammar in the paragraph I didn't delete.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
All of which is bolded can be erased. It's a lot of padding and you are switching between first and third person without real intent behind those words.

It seemed like the intro from a speaker on the plot of a play Shakespeare would debut.

You may want to fix the misplaced commas and grammar in the paragraph I didn't delete.
Thank you. I'm trying to imagine what an elder God would sound like. Never saw cloud atlas. Are there multi-versal Gods in it?

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
thinking.gif

@Turk @Booksnrain
The premise sounds great.
yep.png

A story told not simply through sequential order of one persons events but also via parallel events, multiple people, and points of view.
That said all the flowery language and "literary devices" are kinda cluttering up your explanation. I understand that you don't want to loose the reader with a boring delivery but it feels like you were doing a bit to much. As said before though, the idea of the story's structure sounds great.

Actually id prefer if you clearly stated 4 things...
The structure of the story(Done)
2. The setting/world/universe the story will take place in
3. Major characters that I should be following
4. Quick blub about those characters backgrounds and motivations.

I'd prefer if these things were given a quick clear write up in your intro. While toning down on the flowery/poetic delivery.

Good luck bruh
yep.png

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
thinking.gif

The premise sounds great.
yep.png

A story told not simply through sequential order of one persons events but also via parallel events, multiple people, and points of view.
That said all the flowery language and "literary devices" are kinda cluttering up your explanation. I understand that you don't want to loose the reader with a boring delivery but it feels like you were doing a bit to much. As said before though, the idea of the story's structure sounds great.

Actually id prefer if you clearly stated 4 things...
The structure of the story(Done)
2. The setting/world/universe the story will take place in
3. Major characters that I should be following
4. Quick blub about there background and motivation.

I'd prefer if those things were given a quick clear write up in your intro. While toning down on the flowery/poetic delivery.

Good luck bruh
yep.png
I was trying to be too clever. I appreciate the bullets. I will address them in my rewrite.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Thank you. I'm trying to imagine what an elder God would sound like. Never saw cloud atlas. Are there multi-versal Gods in it?

Someone else will have to answer that, read that thing back in 06. It deals with multiple timelines and realities though.

I've been writing a little bit on this topic myself, it's sitting on my desk until I finish two other projects.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
I don't think it did. The person speaking is a multi-versal God. If you've ever read Neil Gaiman's Sandman (specfically Overture) I'm using the idea of ubquity on a quantum level. The person speaking is the observer and the observed on multiple planes of existence. I'm attempting to build a multiverse with this as it's preface. I can see why it would confuse you as that is off the page.

I was the Grendel.

I read it and I honestly don't know what going on :skip:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC

@Turk @Booksnrain

8x4efr-jpg.gif

SlowPaceThrillah

Pro
Supporter
Daps

@Turk @Booksnrain

Alright, speaking as someone who used to work in a bookshop (albeit with a pretty middling knowledge of sci-fi/fantasy):

-First bolded seems a bit redundant and utilitarian. Any part of a work will elaborate on the grander picture, no? I don't know if you're literally referring to a chapter as in part of a book or the book as a whole in a broader saga, but either way mentioning it feels like you're trying to justify your writing and wrestling with the reigns of the scope of the story you're trying to express.
-Second bolded, I might have said something like "this is not the case"/"this couldn't be further from the/your/my truth". You're doubling back a bit on the last sentence using comprehend twice, and again, sounds a bit mechanical/prosaic for fantasy.
-Third bolded pick "in actuality" or "real", you're saying the same thing twice.

In the main though it seems cool. Pinch the margins and put it in italics and it reads like quite an interesting preface. Not sure where you're going to go with it but good luck.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me

Same here, Cloud Atlas and Dark Tower(Stephen kings universe) Immediately came to mind.

Though Cloud atlas had to do with history repeating in loops and how the events of those past loops/events impact on the future. Nothing really parallel in it.
On the other hand Stphen kings works are literally parallel worlds(pet cemetery,shinning, it,etc) where the creatures & energies migrate between realities via the nexus / doors depicted in the "Dark tower" books. Come to think of it the entire corpus of books Stephen king has put out has the over all structure it sounds like the OP is looking to write.
(even though the events, protagonists, etc will obviously be different)