Can people who were raised by a single parent understand how to be a proper parent?

Noname2014

Banned
Daps
My mom and pops have been married for a long time and they both believe that most people raised by single parents have "certain" traits. My grandfather and grandmother agree too, but they obviously come from a different generation. They don't think that people raised by single parents know how to be a "good" parent or spouse as they never had the example. My dad and grandfather believe that men that didn't grow up with a father or have a strong male influence in his life will be effeminate and have a lot of "female" traits.They also think a lot of young boys and girls act up in school a lot due to this and they end up going down the wrong path and end up in jail. They think the black men that end up in jail most likely was raised without a father and the black women who don't think "good" black men exist were also raised without a father. They believe that they don't know what its like to have both parents in the home so they fail to raise their "out of wedlock" kids "properly" and the cycle continues.

What do you guys think? I think they feel this way due to generational differences.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I don't think their views just come from generational differences. QUIET as kept, there were tons of side kids, out of wedlock births, single mothers in their time also. People just didn't broadcast it like they do today.

Juices and berries ain't nothing but ultraperm.

Older Blacks have seen a lot of things, pay attention to what they say..and watch how things play out in your life and see how accurate they were. Not just abut this but about a lot of things.

Last edited:

TL15

Veteran
Daps
My dad and grandfather believe that men that didn't grow up with a father or have a strong male influence in his life will be effeminate and have a lot of "female" traits.

Yeah because no man who had both parents ever turned out to be effeminate right? :stopitslime:

900_magic_johnson_cookie_EJ_674969672.jpg

They also think a lot of young boys and girls act up in school a lot due to this and they end up going down the wrong path and end up in jail.

yep... all two parent children grow up well adjusted and great members in society :usure:

rs_1024x759-170424112904-1024-1994-menendez-brothers-movie.jpg

It sounds like your dad and grandpa do a lot of generalizing TBH. Children need both parents for sure...or as close to both parents as they can get. But there are stereotypes that are broken all the time.

A spin could be: Single parent raised men are MORE likely to be better parents because they know what it's like to not have a father at home :yeshrug: