At what point are Black folks not obligated to do anything for their community?

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
Question is sparked from a post I read about Black celebrities' contributions to their community, but I noticed similar arguments being made for non-celebrities, especially business owners

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
What are these people supposed to do for "their communities"? When I hear such talk, it's usually about expecting others to do for people, what people wont do for themselves. Giving back is good, but who is anyone to tell others what they should do with their time and money?

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
The "fukk you, I got mine" mentality shouldn't exist in the black community. We got a number of black folks in sports and entertainment that make millions to live lavish lifestyles, make business moves to perpetuate that wealth, but rarely does that seem to affect the black communities. I understand that personal responsibility for us is paramount, but a little jumpstart from the black 1% wouldn't hurt, in my opinion.

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
Being intellectually honest, societal responsibility means nothing if it's not complimented by personal responsibility, and vice versa. I think(hope) that's obvious, so I'm trying to go beyond the regular personal responsibility arguments

Why do Black folks like referencing other cultures in selective context(neighborhood ownership and business), but then ignore those communities' innate obligatory communal nature, that makes the other aspect that we admire possible?

no one is obligated to do shyt for anyone but your own family. but if you're in a position to help others you should. when we die the only part of us that continues to live on are the things you've done for others.
If nobody's obligated to help others, how do you explain the current social structure that has certain communities exposed to resources that neighboring communities are not?

What are these people supposed to do for "their communities"? When I hear such talk, it's usually about expecting others to do for people, what people wont do for themselves. Giving back is good, but who is anyone to tell others what they should do with their time and money?
The obligation is due to the reality of white supremacy. The only solution to counter systemic oppression is to have a systemic solution that's based on obligations and commitments to support your community and community members

If you're struggling to provide for your family you need to handle THAT before you try helping 13% of the American population. Only those who are comfortable and/or stable should feel obligated to spread the wealth around.
Absolutely. But I don't just mean financial. I also mean the obligation to
share pertinent information,
to hire,
to build with and build for,
to marry...like other communities

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A person's only obligation is to their children. If everyone would just handle that one obligation then the community would take care of itself. The problem is that people are refusing to step up and handle that one obligation, which is what is causing the problem in the larger overall community.

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
A person's only obligation is to their children. If everyone would just handle that one obligation then the community would take care of itself. The problem is that people are refusing to step up and handle that one obligation, which is what is causing the problem in the larger overall community.
We have more than enough examples of Black adults raised in "good" homes still not taking care of anyone outside of their family/friends/network

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Individuals are not obligated to assist or provide for each other.

Not even if you have more than others, not even obligated to take care of family and friends.

You don't even have an obligation to your country.

I don't think people have obligations and responsibilities for things they did not choose.

Only institution that has an obligation is the government since it takes our money and we hace the right to make sure it provides the best quality of life since it takes our money.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Feed your own before you leave outside your home

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
Individuals are not obligated to assist or provide for each other.
Not even if you have more than others, not even obligated to take care of family and friends.
You don't even have an obligation to your country.
I don't think people have obligations and responsibilities for things they did not choose.
Only institution that has an obligation is the government since it takes our money and we hace the right to make sure it provides the best quality of life since it takes our money.
if everything is optional, then which flourishing community or country could you reference that implements this approach?