American Simone Manuel speaks out on police brutality, race after earning Olympic gold

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
RIO DE JANEIRO – American swimmer Simone Manuel spoke out about the United States’ police brutality controversy after claiming a historic gold medal in the 100-meter freestyle at the Rio Olympics on Thursday night.

Manuel said that her victory was extra special in the context of ongoing race issues in the U.S.

“It means a lot, especially with what is going on in the world today, some of the issues of police brutality,” Manuel said. “This win hopefully brings hope and change to some of the issues that are going on. My color just comes with the territory.”

Australia’s Cate Campbell was a strong favorite going into the race, but Manuel remained calm as her rival faded. Manuel finished in blistering fashion.

When Manuel looked up after touching the wall, she saw red lit dots on her block that indicated she had at least finished among the podium places, and admitted she was “super surprised” when she turned around and saw the “1” next to her name on the scoreboard.

For Manuel, the victory could not have been sweeter. In the lead-up to the event she forced herself to briefly distance herself from the significance of being a rare black swimmer representing the U.S, in order to focus on chasing victory.

“It is something I’ve definitely struggled with a lot,” Manuel said. “Coming into the race I tried to take weight of the black community off my shoulders. It’s something I carry with me. I want to be an inspiration, but I would like there to be a day when it is not ‘Simone the black swimmer.

American Simone Manuel speaks out on police brutality, race after earning Olympic gold

Daps
Simone-Manuel-SI18_TK1_00319.jpg

:mjponder::tomlinpray::sadzeke:

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
“It is something I’ve definitely struggled with a lot,” Manuel said. “Coming into the race I tried to take weight of the black community off my shoulders. It’s something I carry with me. I want to be an inspiration, but I would like there to be a day when it is not ‘Simone the black swimmer.

:francis:

Ok I know thecoli desperately wants a young, good-looking sista to be crowned as Queen but y'all need to pay attention to this last paragraph. She said tried to take the weight of the black community off her shoulders. Why? Why she thinks representing her people is such a burden? She's speaking up but at the same time she is downplaying her blackness. She's letting whites know she's no threat to them. Becaise she doesn't want to be known as the blsck swimmer.

She shouldn't be ashamed to represent her people. When she go out their she not only represent her self but she represents THE BLACK COMMUNITY. A lot of these black athletes today seem to rep themselves and say damn the black community. Jesse Owens represented his people. He did it for his people. These athletes owe a obligation to that. She spoke out against police brutality but at the same time she's shying away from her blackness.

Last edited:

FSP

Banned
Daps

:francis:

Ok I know thecoli desperately wants a young, good-looking sist to be crowned her as Queen but y'all need to pay attention to this last paragraph. She said tried to take the weight of the black community off her shoulders. Why? Why she thinks representing her people is such a burden? She's speaking up but at the same time she is downplaying her blackness. She's letting whites know she's no threat to them. Becaise she doesn't want to be known as the blsck swimmer.

She shouldn't be ashamed to represent her people. When she go out their she not only represent her self but she represents THE BLACK COMMUNITY. A lot of these black athletes today seem to rep themselves and say damn the black community. Jesse Owens represented his people. He did it for his people. These athletes owe a obligation to that. She spoke out against police brutality but at the same time she's shying away from her blackness.
giphy.gif