A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
How did Littlefinger start the whole mess?

He and Lysa killed Jon Arryn the Hand of the King before Ned....with out that the Lannisters arent in Winterfell, Bran doesn't get pushed out the window, no capture of Tyrion ect. ect.

How bout this what if Jon Arryn doesn't die and they find out about the Lannister Incest and Robert is killed...(cuz that was a Lannister plot)

WHO'S SIDE DOES EVERYONE TAKE?!

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I read an interesting theory that Littlefinger is doing what he's doing because he wants to end the game of thrones or specifically the feudal state that Westeros has been in for all this time. He represents the renaissance, rise of a merchant class and the toppling of aristocracy.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I read an interesting theory that Littlefinger is doing what he's doing because he wants to end the game of thrones or specifically the feudal state that Westeros has been in for all this time. He represents the renaissance, rise of a merchant class and the toppling of aristocracy.

that would be cool as the war of kings is ended and there are no kings...just the rich :youngsabo:

or perhaps someone elected by the people....

NUPE 1911

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He was responsible for the assassination of the King's Hand, Jon Arryn. He easily duped Eddard Stark into believing he was an ally and was ultimately responsible for his execution. He murdered the only woman who seems to have loved him, Lysa Arryn, after we learn the entire civil war was set in motion at Littlefinger's behest.

Hmm, been a bit since I read the books. I got the impression that Littlefinger wanted to assist Eddard but Eddard was not willing to do what was required due to his honor. So, he took the route that protected his ass.

Also, I always thought it was Cersei that was behind poisoning Jon?!?!

Even if what u say is accurate. I still would not say Littlefinger is the one that started this. It was easily Cersei, Jamie and Joffrey, imo.

Maybe I will go back and re-read.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Hmm, been a bit since I read the books. I got the impression that Littlefinger wanted to assist Eddard but Eddard was not willing to do what was required due to his honor. So, he took the route that protected his ass.

Also, I always thought it was Cersei that was behind poisoning Jon?!?!

Even if what u say is accurate. I still would not say Littlefinger is the one that started this. It was easily Cersei, Jamie and Joffrey, imo.

Maybe I will go back and re-read.

Cersei and Jaime suspected that Jon knew something and they were planning to kill him but Littlefinger conspired with Lysa and got to him first. The plan was to get the Starks to come out, since Littlefinger tells Lysa to write a note to Catelyn and blame Jon Arryn's death on Cersei. Joffrey's actions just made Petyr's plans move along faster (trying to assassinate Bran).

Catelyn tells Ned about the letter. Ned goes to Kingslanding. Petyr gives Ned an alternative to increase their power by backing Joffrey (which I think he knew honor bound Ned would turn down) so he sets Ned up for treason instead. Robb hears that shyt and raises his banners, from then on the the war goes on full blast.

Clearly he was trying to start a beef and he did. I'm not sure if the scale of chaos that took over the realm was his intentions but his actions can be held responsible for starting the War of the Five Kings.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Cersei and Jaime suspected that Jon knew something and they were planning to kill him but Littlefinger conspired with Lysa and got to him first. The plan was to get the Starks to come out, since Littlefinger tells Lysa to write a note to Catelyn and blame Jon Arryn's death on Cersei. Joffrey's actions just made Petyr's plans move along faster (trying to assassinate Bran).

Catelyn tells Ned about the letter. Ned goes to Kingslanding. Petyr gives Ned an alternative to increase their power by backing Joffrey (which I think he knew honor bound Ned would turn down) so he sets Ned up for treason instead. Robb hears that shyt and raises his banners, from then on the the war goes on full blast.

Clearly he was trying to start a beef and he did. I'm not sure if the scale of chaos that took over the realm was his intentions but his actions can be held responsible for starting the War of the Five Kings.

I always said "Littlefinger started the Game....Joffery started the War"

Ned keeps his head you are looking at peace in the kingdoms...

NaiSim

HEAR ME ROAR!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
nj
Robert was easily a top tier fighter. Dude was a beast physically and an excellent user of the Warhammer. He loved fighting in melees, which are fought from horse back.

Btw. This is what a Warhammer looks like:

http://budk.com/ProductImages/500/A06 BK627.jpg

They're not at all slow or clumsy. Probably not much heavier than a sword at 2 to 3 pounds. And as mr pink mentioned, pretty much every hit means trouble because all the force is centered on a narrow spike or hammerhead.

Dr_ngo

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Robert was easily a top tier fighter. Dude was a beast physically and an excellent user of the Warhammer. He loved fighting in melees, which are fought from horse back.

Btw. This is what a Warhammer looks like:

http://budk.com/ProductImages/500/A06 BK627.jpg

They're not at all slow or clumsy. Probably not much heavier than a sword at 2 to 3 pounds. And as mr pink mentioned, pretty much every hit means trouble because all the force is centered on a narrow spike or hammerhead.

this is what robert's warhammer looks like

swords - King Robert's Warhammer - Valyrian Steel

:win:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps

would be interesting. But then he is acting alone cause George didn't bring up any other merchants in this story so far.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
would be interesting. But then he is acting alone cause George didn't bring up any other merchants in this story so far.

Yeah I know, to back up the theory I think Littlefinger's motivation for what he's doing goes back to how he was screwed over because of the strict social hierarchy of Westeros. Petyr seemed to be a good kid when he was fostered with the Tullys.

The book doesn't go into detail with Petyr's past but he's described as being a low status and clever kid who was genuinely a good friend of Edmure and was healthily infatuated with Catelyn. Right up until he was humiliated by Brandon Stark and raped by Lysa while wounded in bed.

When he's all healed up they send him packing back home where I assumed he got to brood over how the system screwed him over in getting what he wanted. So this kid grows into a man and decides to climb up the ranks using his talents to fukk the system over like it did to him as a child.

As of right now it's the only motive that makes sense. However much a nutjob Littlefinger looks like in the books, the man's movement throughout the books looks democratic :manny:

Very impressive that he's doing it by himself but I think Petyr's endgame, if he has one, is something that's gonna be good for the common folk and bad for these feudal lords.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Yeah I know, to back up the theory I think Littlefinger's motivation for what he's doing goes back to how he was screwed over because of the strict social hierarchy of Westeros. Petyr seemed to be a good kid when he was fostered with the Tullys.

The book doesn't go into detail with Petyr's pass but he's described as being a clever kid who was genuinely a good friend of Edmure and was healthily infatuated with Catelyn. Right up until he was humiliated by Brandon Stark and raped by Lysa while wounded in bed.

When he's all healed up they send him packing back home where I assumed he got to brood over how the system screwed him over in getting what he wanted. So this kid grows into a man and decides to climb up the ranks using his talents to fukk the system over like it did to him as a child.

As of right now it's the only motive that makes sense. However much a nutjob Littlefinger looks like in the books, the man's movement throughout the books looks democratic :manny:

Very impressive that he's doing it by himself but I think Petyr's endgame if he has one, is something that's gonna be good for the common folk and bad for these feudal lords.

nice theory.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
nice theory.

It would be neat if that's George's plan for the character, if it really is Petyr's plan than that would put me in his corner.

Sounds a lot better than Dany Targaryen reclaiming the throne or whoever else planning to take it. fukk all that.

Westeros is in serious need of democracy. :birdman:

DonkeyPuncher718

If Your Knee Dont Bend It Can Be Broken
Daps
Reppin
The Wall
I know Im late to the Party I just finished reading Storm of Swords that book was :ahh: about to pick up A feast for crows after work today.

There were so many :ohhh::lolbron::what::skip::ahh: moments in that book and this shyt is just making me much more thirsty for season 3 to start

As you can see from my avi I ride with the one true king, the lord of light Stannis Baratheon and he repped as usual but I really must say the Lannisters man they always pay their debts:skip:

If you on the fence about reading the book get off the coli and go cop these books you will not be disappointed.Best thing I did this summer Game if Thrones has such a huge following where I am in NYC I swear everytime I go to the bars I have the book with me and i kid you not I have gotten into a conversation about this show everytime with a snowbunny.

My face during the "Red Wedding":ohhh::ehh::lolbron:

The night is dark and full of terrors brehs