2014 article - 10 Lowest Drawing WWE Champions Of All Time

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
WWE: 10 Lowest Drawing WWE Champions Of All Time

The belt doesn’t make the man, the man makes the belt. Or so the saying goes in the WWE. The distinction of being WWE Champion is something that wrestlers aspire towards all their life. In truth, it is just the start of the work and pressure. Being Champion means that you are the focus of the entire WWE, the man who is responsible for drawing the crowds. Succeed bringing money in and the bosses (and your peers) will love you, but fail on top and there is nowhere to hide. Watching numbers go down when you are the main attraction can be one of the most soul destroying things for a wrestler to ever go through – to the point that some champions have begged Vince McMahon to get the belt off of them.

This list will have some stark revelations. Ultimately a wrestler’s job is to engage the crowd. The sad thing is, some of the talent on this list are the best wrestlers in WWE, ironically the least interesting wrestlers if the numbers are to be believed. Whereas the like of Austin and Rock had a magnetism to their drawing ability, the more in-ring based talent have struggled to maintain sales in tickets, ppv buys and merchandise. It’s proof that Vince McMahon is correct in his selling of sports entertainment over pro wrestling. There is of course circumstances to take into consideration, some talent have cited that their run came in a down cycle. That’s fair enough, although irrepressible talent like Austin would have spiked numbers whenever the period you might argue.

All that matters as Champion at the end of the day is business generated. WWE is a company like anything else, the whole point is to make money. The measure of a Champion in the industry is buys. A true champ carries the company, ensuring everyone gets rich off their reign. With this in mind, Whatculture will list the worst drawing champions, determining the Champions who just didn’t cut the standard in WWE history.

In analyzing this, we need to look at guys who were given the mantle with a championship role in mind. Transitional champions (such as Mankind or Kane) never really had the belt long enough for us to judge – instead they were a prop in the bigger picture. The era also has to be considered. In the 80’s, the WWF was starting small and expanding. Growth was inevitable. The plateaus of the mid 90’s and post attitude era are going to be far more susceptible to crashes in drawing, the pockets of time that had to follow sustained periods of immense growth.

Ultimately the WWE title is a prop, and some guys just couldn’t do anything with it. So here it is, the 10 worst drawing WWE Champions of all time…

10. Chris Benoit – PPV Box Office Decline

He may have been excellent in the ring, but viewers were tuning out for Chris Benoit in 2004. Pay per view buy numbers had been steady in the WWE up until Benoit became the focus of Raw in March 2004. All of a sudden business fell off a cliff. The WWE lost around 100,000 PPV buyers from the year previous in the period that Benoit was Champion. Granted, we can attribute the loss of business to other factors too – Rock gone, Austin gone, injuries. But let’s not make excuses for Benoit, it was his job to maintain the level of sales and he failed.

In terms of numbers consider this. Benoit’s first event as Champion was Backlash 2004. It garnered 295,000 buys, down from 345,000 buys a year earlier. The decline under Benoit continued, Bad Blood 2004 was in at 290,000 buys, down from 385,000 in 2003. Such was the lack of faith in Benoit following dismal character performances on Raw, the WWE instead decided to put Triple H vs Shawn Michaels on last for the Bad Blood PPV- Benoit as Champion was just not getting over as an attraction.

His dull as ditch water personality is undoubtedly the main reason people didn’t buy into Benoit. His diminutive and unattractive appearance didn’t much help matters either. Call it superficial, but WWE fans are indeed a fickle bunch. Looks matter in peoples perceptions of a champion. Every PPV that ‘The Crippler’ appeared as Champion on was down from the previous year, WWE had taken a massive gamble and it hadn’t paid off. The decision was made to change gears, with a new era in mind, Benoit jobbed the title to Randy Orton at Summerslam 2004. Say what you will about the business being in decline, the fact is it accelerated under the World Title reign of Chris Benoit.

9. Eddie Guerrero – PPV Box Office Decline, Pressure Of Being Champion

It was a dream come true for Eddie Guerrero when he won the WWE championship in 2004 … but it quickly turned into a nightmare. The killer stat is this – 450,000 PPV buys achieved for No Way Out 2003 compared to just 265,000 buys for No Way Out 2004 built around Guerrero and culminating in his title victory.

The pressure of being champion was something that Guerrero could not cope with. This was exacerbated by a depleted Smackdown roster that saw Kurt Angle out injured and Brock Lesnar leaving the company. Having to carry the entire brand on his shoulders, Eddie felt very uneasy. It got to the point he went to Vince McMahon and asked for the title to be taken off of him. When JBL eventually captured the championship, Guerrero later spoke of his “relief”.

What was it about being Champion that Guerrero struggled so much with? It wasn’t really the championship, it was the responsibility. TV ratings were creeping down, and given the limited star power on Smackdown, Guerrero was the only man who could be blamed. Guerrero felt like it was his fault. It perhaps was. It’s hard to imagine the decline would have been as heavy if WWE could have kept Kurt Angle fit or retained Brock Lesnar. It was clear to see though, empty seats were increasing at house shows as fans didn’t see much value in attending the Smackdown brand. It was around this time that fans stopped viewing Smackdown as an equal to Raw, the blue brand very much becoming the B show.

Speaking to The Sun Newspaper in the UK, Guerrero admitted he had been a disaster as a drawing Champion – “It’s a great responsibility being champion, as you’re the one carrying the ball, and I found it very difficult. It was the first time I’d held the title and I don’t think I was ready. I was ready to win the belt, but not for what lay ahead of me. I wasn’t prepared mentally for what happens outside the ring – because I think that’s where the real challenges lie. I was taking things like attendances and ratings very personally.”

8. John Bradshaw Layfield – PPV And Ratings Decline

With Guerrero floundering as Champion, WWE had to do something drastic. The decision they made was to repackage the veteran midcarder Bradshaw into a new gimmick : JBL a multi millionaire heel bully. While Bradshaw was a laugh on the mic, and in my mind not actually that bad in the ring as a powerful big man, he failed miserably as Champion. Smackdown ratings continued to slump.

JBL’s proving ground would be No Mercy 2004. This Smackdown only ppv was his big chance to prove he could draw buys. His opponent was The Undertaker, so that should have helped him considerably. It wasn’t to be however. No Mercy 2004 pulled a paltry 183,000 buys. That was down from the previous month of 239,000 buys. A year earlier the No Mercy show had spiked 275,000.

Despite this dismal performance, the WWE persevered with Bradshaw in the championship role. They didn’t really have much choice. Kurt Angle was a fitness liability and John Cena was still some way from being ready for a bigger role. JBL would eventually be used to put Cena over at Wrestlemania 21, but to be honest, that lost all meaning in the face of HHH putting Batista over. JBL’s entire reign and usefulness was therefore hard to draw many positives from. Smackdown was never the same again, a year later it was bumped to the less valuable Friday Night slot. It then went through a period across different networks before today ending up on Syfy. That says it all. Smackdown is now on the same network that the third tier ECW operated on, to many fans it is simply awaiting its eventual cancellation. The death of Smackdown and tumble towards irrelevancy arguably all began with three little letters – JBL.

7. CM Punk – None Main Event Champion, Decline In Ratings And Buys

CM Punk was undoubtedly the best wrestler in the world during his 2011-2013 championship run. Whether it was in the ring or on the mic, Punk always delivered. Except some in the audience clearly weren’t as thrilled as others – viewers tuned out and ppv buyers stopped buying.

Again, you can argue that the WWE isn’t built around one guy drawing anymore. Lots of things can be attributed with that decline. However, the fact remains, as champion Punk did not draw. Steve Austin came along in a decline, cut a blistering promo and started drawing mega money. CM Punk came along in a decline, cut a blistering promo and started drawing average to underwhelming money. That’s just the way it is.

In analyzing Punk as a drawing champion, initially he started hot. You can understand why … the pipe bomb promo was one of the greatest sells ever for a PPV. Punk and Cena did 195,000 worldwide buys for Punk’s big moment in Chicago. Summerslam 2011 however, Punk’s first big match in his new main event role, saw a drop off in business. The 2010 event had drawn 349,000 buys whereas with Punk main eventing in 2011 it clocked in at 296,000 buys.

This unfortunately became a trend for Punk as a main event draw. You might however point to the fact that his rise in merchandise sales offset this, but then the drop in tv ratings offsets that counter. WWE quickly got the message, fans weren’t buying into Punk as the main event man. The decision was made that John Cena would still be the show closing main event for the majority of shows. It was a damning verdict from management on their faith in Punk as champion. If not for John Cena’s long term planned feud with The Rock, the ‘doctor of thuganomics’ would have had the title back much, much sooner.

6. Shawn Michaels – He Loses His Smile

“I know that over the, uh, the last several months I’ve lost a lot of things and one of them has been my smile. And, and I know it doesn’t mean a whole lot to everbody else, but it means a lot to me. So I have to go back and fix myself, and take care of myself, and I have to go back and I have to find my smile because somewhere along the line I lost it.”

Shawn Michaels now infamous “losing his smile” speech summed up perfectly the disastrous run he had as WWF Champion in 1996. He started off the reign as an enthusiastic good looking kid, and ended it as a broken disillusioned man. With his bearded scruffiness and red eyes during that 97 speech, Michaels was the visual embodiment of a man who had crumbled under the pressure of carrying the WWF. All his friends had left for WCW, who had then proceeded to own the WWF in ratings and buys … with an ego the size of HBK’s it was hugely painful to accept he just wasn’t that engaging as champion. Rather than pass the title on to Bret Hart or Steve Austin, he instead decided to go home. He had lost his smile.

It seemed like Shawn’s whole life was loaded with problems at this point. In addition to being unable to improve business, he was also struggling with drug problems and alcohol dependency. His personal relationships were in tatters. The locker room hated him and despite being ineffective as a draw Michaels was fighting with Vince McMahon to maintain his position as the number one guy. He had no choice but to take the high road and leave for a while.

The fact that Shawn had made such a big deal about being the number 1 guy over Bret Hart was probably what made his inability to draw so much harder to take. The crushing reality was that in 1996 both Wrestlemania and Summerslam buyrates went down with Shawn pushed as the man. Male fans just struggled to buy into the pretty boy male who was posing nude in playgirl. The grittier Austin and more technical Hart were more appealing … albeit Mr.Hart is still to make an appearance on this list and also didn’t cover himself in any glory during this period either.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
5. The Undertaker – Deadman Draws Dead Crowds

It’s just as well the streak came along for The Undertaker to build his legacy upon … because his title reigns in the 90’s were nothing to write home about at all. Undertaker was slotted into the role of Champion more out of circumstance than meritocracy in 1997. Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart were disgracing themselves backstage and Steve Austin still had question marks in the mind of Vince McMahon. Taker was deemed a safe choice to put the belt on for a while, which may also have been a measure to protect the belt with Hart talking to WCW and Michaels having at one point asked for a release.

Taker was never really the fan choice as champion. He was McMahon’s choice, with buys reflecting this. Undertaker’s Wrestlemania 13 main event was the worst performing Mania main event EVER. Coming in at barely 237,000 buys for Wrestlemania 13, Undertaker will forever have the distinction of being the worst draw at a Wrestlemania ever.

Amazingly he held the title until Summerslam of that year, despite business arrowing down quicker than a lead weight. The Summerslam buyrate came in at 177,000 buys, again down from the previous year. Taker jobbed to Bret Hart in that match and business improved in the proceeding months. All in all, 1997 was a year to forget for the Deadman.

4. Sid As WWF Champion

Sid Eudy, pictured right, bounced between the WWF and WCW in the 90’s … sucking everywhere he went.

He ended up WWF champion mostly because he was a huge guy in the right place at the right time. Vince McMahon was in a quandary in late 96 to early 97. Shawn Michaels hadn’t worked out as champion, leaving the chairman reeling at what to do. The result was that Sid ended up the benefactor of two title reigns and a Wrestlemania main event. We have already touched on the Wrestlemania 13 main event with Undertaker, a stupendously low buyrate of 237,000.

Again, it is the lowest Mania draw of all time. Sid as Champion was as much if not more to blame than Undertaker. His other championship defense earlier that year, against Shawn Michaels at Royal Rumble was equally disastrous. The buyrate came in at 244,000. That was down from the year previous, and a Rumble hasn’t performed that badly since. Sid ultimately ended up champion again because Michaels didn’t want to lose to Bret Hart at Wrestlemania, causing a huge booking mess.

The big man went on to show more underwhelming box office hits with WCW in the dying days of the Atlanta brand. The summary is clear – he couldn’t draw a dime.

3. The Miz, The Man Who Killed The Championship

Not only did ratings and box office suffer under Miz, he has arguably damaged the very nature of the WWE title as a drawing device. The meaning of the championship seriously decreased under Miz, fans unable to take him seriously in the main event role. The destruction of the championship prestige was confirmed when he main evented and won at Wrestlemania, simply as a prop to set up an angle for John Cena and The Rock. The statement was that the WWE Champion was no longer the draw, Cena and Rock were the attraction.

The damning evidence for Miz is that Raw ratings were sitting around the 3.5 rating before he became Champion, but struggled to stay over the 3.0 mark after his win. Pay per view numbers ended up down on the previous year. In saying that, Wrestlemania jumped up huge. I would credit that with The Rock though, as detailed, Miz was the main event but he may as well have been an inanimate object – he was just a prop for Cena and Rock to work with to set up a much bigger program.

Miz may have the second highest drawing Mania of all time to his name, but the fact that WWE hasn’t touched him in a main event capacity since tells you all you need to know about his wider drawing performance – the company knows he drives main event value down not upward.

2. Bret Hart, Business Turns South On His Watch

We have detailed how the likes of Shawn Michaels and Undertaker struggled in 96 and 97 … well all that was coming off the disastrous run of Bret Hart in 1992, 1994 and 1995. He was the transition guy from the cartoon era to a more realistic athletic era, and fans just didn’t get on board for the ride. Attendances, PPV buys and merchandise all took a nosedive with Hart leading the company.

Try as McMahon did to get Hart over, fans just didn’t buy into the normal looking guy carrying the championship. Everyone was conditioned to big guys like Hogan and Warrior, resulting in a mass turn off when Bret Hart became Champion. Despite his athletic ability, many people just couldn’t take him seriously as champion in the WWF “the land of the giants”. In saying that, Bret was a solid draw overseas, but the US market is king – he posted a drop in year on year PPV buys domestically. When Hulk Hogan came back in as champion things recovered for a short while. The indication was clear, bigger guys sell, smaller guys don’t.

Bret sees things differently. He is the first man to stand up and say how hot a performer he was, blaming everything from creative to Shawn Michaels for his failings in the WWF. Regarding his ability to draw, Bret has stated that business fell off a cliff after his reign transitioned to Shawn Michaels. What Bret needs to consider is this, the baton he handed Michaels was so weak that HBK was already in a losing race. WCW and Hogan were way more in tune with the mass audience than Hart and the WWF.

1. Diesel – The Worst Ever Draw In Wrestling

Bret Hart was so bad as a drawing champion that Vince McMahon replaced him with Diesel. Oh dear. Things quickly accelerated from bad to worst, the company losing more money than it was making. Such was Nash’s inability as a draw that Bret Hart actually ended up making more in royalties than Nash did over the Diesel title reign period. The ship very nearly sank with Nash manning the helm.

The drop off in pay per view business was at its very hardest. Wrestlemania lost 80,000 buyers from the previous year, Summerslam 95,000 buys down and Survivor Series 95 posted 128,000 buys – down from 254,00 in 1994. That marked the end of Diesel as champion, jobbing the title to Bret Hart on that November night. Everything had gone down in his run – ticket sales, ppv buys, merchandise.

As the only champion to nearly bankrupt the company, Nash is way out in front on this list. It’s amazing that the WWF kept the title on him so long when you think about it, although on paper this big man worker should have worked. A return to Bret didn’t remedy business, and Shawn Michaels couldn’t muster an improvement either. It would take the hottest act in the history of wrestling to finally restore drawing power to the WWF Championship. Conversely, as Steve Austin was revolutionisng the business on Raw, Nash was now on WCW and killing their product … arguably one of the very main factors in WCW’s demise.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I'll always feel like the think that happened with Punk was post Pipe Bomb, he really was "The One To Watch" in WWE.

Folks deny it, but there's been no bigger draw since Austin than the story of "The Regular Slobby Looking/Acting/Talking Dude vs The Corporate Machine Or Whatever Represents It"

WWE misses this point by always having the Corporation pick on these pretty boy square jawed babyfaces, but I digress...

Anyway, I saw it as Punk leveraging that fame in his contract renegotiations and one of the stipulations was that he was champ for a determined length of time.

Vince or whoever, being tired of his shyt, gave him the belt..... but booked Cena as champ. :mjlol:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
5 is straight up BULLshyt considering that not even 2 years later he was a focal point of the company as champion when it was doing it's best business ever

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A lot of yall have some explaining to do with Sid and Eddie being champ.....

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Wasn't Warrior considered a bust as champ as well according to some?

For Randy Savage to still be a decent draw and not be on this list given he had the belt both times Hulk took a brief hiatus is a tribute to him.

Daps
Undertaker, nash, michaels, sid, and bret all makes sense because the wwe was going to experience new lows no matter what at that time. They couldn't have possibly been able to compensate for the loss of some of their big name stars like hogan and macho man. :manny:

Jbl and the miz reigns was straight trash. Both at the time looked so put out of place as main eventers. Very few people took them serious as main eventers. :martin:

Cm punk reign wasn't being booked at number 1 and the reign itself wasn't impressive. Fueds were hit or miss. :francis:

Benoit and eddie just wasn't meant to be the man. Same thing goes for cm punk. They fit the label of being "one of the top guy as opposed to being The top guy." More on the lines of taker/triple than the rock/austin. :yeshrug:

Last edited: